Preston Tucker’s 1936 convertible

Home Page Forums General Preston Tucker’s 1936 convertible

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have Preston Tucker’s 1936 convertible, or know where it might be/or what happened to it? I understand he owned the car after World War II, suggesting that Pierce has a very good chance of still being here. I do not know the engine configuration nor which convertible body style it was.

All the best from here

Brooks

Brooks,

A car purporting to be Preston Tucker’s car (1936 1602 Convertible Coupe) is in the PAS records and the Weis files as belonging to a Monty Holmes in Washington. He apparently passed away last year, so we have no record as to the current owner. Possibly a family member?

Dave

Dave –

Thanks very much for the update. I found the reference in a 1946 newspaper story, which would have been as he was organizing the Tucker car business. The lack of other car information only allowed suspecting his Pierce had a 12-cylinder engine. I’m glad to hear it is in Bernie’s files: does he say when Tucker bought it, perhaps going back even further? I did not see the Tucker movie; as his Pierce played a part in the car’s real story, wonder if it is present there, too.

Brooks

Brooks,

There is no ownership time listed in Bernie’s files.

Dave

Dave –

Thanks for checking. I later queried Google to find the CCCA Pacific Region’s Bumper Guardian magazine do a story on it in Autumn 2013. Still, its earliest days are not clear. The Buffalo dealer changed towards the end; so wonder if that is when Tucker bought it.

Brooks

I purchased a single pilot ray light from Preston Tucker’s grandson not too long ago.

I will look for his contact info.

Bill

Sorry, they are Preston’s Great Grandsons, Sean and Mike

https://www.facebook.com/PrestonTuckerLlc/

Let’s just say that provenance and rumors are two separate things. Also, fiction is not fact. The car that is the subject of the thread was restored poorly in my opinion and in a fairly modified condition from the photos I have seen. I have no interest in it one way or the other. I do recommend anyone purchasing it to get verified iron clad documentation if they think the Tucker story adds value to the car. I’m of the opinion that it is meaningless even if 100 percent fact. Also, I would inspect it to see if it was a 12 when new, or did it start off as an 8? It is so modified it’s a fair question. And no, I will not disclose publicly the tell tale signs of a converted car.

Caveat Emptor applies to EVERY open Pierce of ANY year or series. Especially a V-12. Assume EVERY car is a fake or altered car till proven otherwise. I can think of at least five non authentic V-12 cars out there of which are closed to open conversions or a 8 to 12 swap. And they have awards both in the club and on the circuit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.