Primer cups needed

Home Page Forums Engine Primer cups needed

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

I’m looking for a couple of primer cups like in the photo to complete the set on my car.

Anyone have one or more of these ? I saw some on ebay but they are 1/2″ pipe thread and that is

too big. Thanks for any leads.

I could use help getting a photo up on this message……..”

Richard,

Regarding photos, they have to be very small jpegs and about 25kb or smaller.

I’ll send you an email with three photos now on the website and you can GET INFO on them to see how small they are.

I believe that I need to use PREVIEW (Mac guy) to make them that small.

Peter

Photo

Thanks to Pat & Peter for helping me figure out how to load the photo.

Now, if I can only remember how to do this next time ???

Rich

Hi Richard, i assume the primer cups needed are for your 1918 48hp touring?

I have some for a Series 80, they are similar to the lower one in your photo.

If you want a photo posted, let me know.

Greg

Richard,

The priming cups in the photo are not the correct ones for a Series 4.The correct priming cups have a long handle with a simple cup.Do you have the Series 4 parts book as they are shown in the engine images.

Richard,

If you have the Series 4 Parts book, take a photo of the illustration and post that photo (now that you are a photo pro) so that others will know what you want.

Peter

Glad I could help, Rich.

Pat

I can check the Series 4 parts book I have which is a copy from the University of Michigan. The Bernie Weis collection which is now in the AACA Library can make copies of almost all of the parts books for Pierce Arrow.For good photographs go to Google and search under Series 4 Pierce Arrow engine and some good images should surface.You want to have a complete parts book for your car and it is not a bad idea to have the parts book for the series of car on each side.

On the Pierce Arrow Society Site go to literature then go to 1916-1918 Series 4

and it will show the instruction manual which can be downloaded.There is a good image which shows the priming cups.A full set of Series 4 literature is available from the Society Collection at the AACA Library.The Engineering Library at the University of Michigan has many factory images of these Pierce Arrows and I have gotten prints from them.One can almost walk into the images as they are so clear.

Is a 1918 48hp Dual Valve considered a Series 4 car?

My 1919 38hp Series 31 Dual valve uses primer cups similar to the top one in the photo.

Greg

Rich,

Besides Greg’s stash of Series 80 types, you might contact Wayne Hancock who had a setoff six or seven, that is if he didn’t sell them to me.

I forget, so I’ll look.

Peter

Greg,

I believe single valve Series 4 cars went to July 1918, then they built Series 5 dual valve cars.

Thus, a dual valve car is a Series 5 car.

I’ve seen Series 4 & Series 5 cars with the small funnel style primer cups. My 1909 Model 24 had those same ones.

I just did a quick scan of “1918 Pierce Arrow engine photos” on the internet. There were some engine shots and most of them had the small funnel style primer on them. It also looked like most of them were Series 5 dual valve cars.

So, what is correct for my 1918 Series 4 48 ? I know the factory drawings show another type of primer, but is that correct or for illustration purposes only done by the artist ? If small funnel primers cups are used on Series 5 cars, could they also be used on Series 4 cars ? Since this is a driver and not a show car, i doubt it really matters that much, but I would like to be accurate if possible.

Comments welcome ………and thanks for everybodies help….

Richard,

If your car is to be a driver I believe that Restoration Supply has a priming cup that might be rather close.The priming cups were I believe the same from 1909 into the Series 5 of 1918-1919.The priming cups on my very original Series 3 match exactly what is shown in the engineering drawings in the parts books.I have the parts books for Series 2,Series 3 and Series 4 and all the priming cups look the same and should carry the same part number.

Richard,

If you want an exact replacement, Wayne Simoni has a shop that makes

brass parts and other items that are difficult to find. I couldn’t find

his site on the internet and hope he is still in business as I need him

to make a drain spigot for my early Rambler. He is listed in the HCCA

Roster.

Wayne’s business is called CARS. Website is brassauto.com.

Richard,

Don’t rush to buy them.

It is not as though you need them to get the car to run.

When I bought it, my Series 80 had a bolt in two of the primer cup positions.

After years of looking, I found two in the strangest place, an estate sale – no other P-A things, just two Series 80 primer cups.

I paid $1.00 each.

They are out there!

Patience will provide you with what you need and at a reasonable price.

Peter

Thank you everyone.

I only need two of the small funnel style and am using something else in the mean time.

I’ve made some of those before, but would like to find some originals.

I occasionally find one or two at Hershey, and found 4 of the round (series 80 type) at Hershey this year.

Just fishing for a couple more small funnel style.

Thanks

Hi Richard, here is an image of two Series 80 style primer cups, and one

from my 1919 Series 31.

The Series 80 cups have a different shape for the ‘funnel’ portion of the

cup.

But, i’m sure that anyone going by your car on a galloping horse would

not notice the difference.

I could supply you with a set of 6, or a single or pair.

Greg Long

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.