Question about Adjusting Single Anchor Brakes

Home Page Forums Chassis Question about Adjusting Single Anchor Brakes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I have spent considerable time trying to adjust the Bendix Single Anchor Brakes on my 1932 Model 54 Club Sedan. I have followed the instructions on pages 3, 4, and 5 in PASB 78-4, but there is one part of the instructions that I don?t understand. They say that the red spring should always be attached to the upper brake shoe. If I assume that the red spring is the stronger of the two shoe return springs on each wheel, then this makes sense for the front wheels because it allows the lower shoe to move the most, which makes the lower shoe the primary shoe, and everything seems in order. However, this doesn?t seem to make sense for the rear wheels because it again allows the lower shoe to move the most, so when the car is moving forward, the lower shoe again tries to become the primary shoe. The problem is that when the car is moving forward, the lower shoe will be carried into the anchor pin rather than activating the other shoe through the star wheel. So something is wrong with my reasoning here. If I instead assume that the red spring is the weak spring at each wheel, I run into a problem with the front wheel brakes rather than with the rear ones. Can someone tell me where my reasoning goes astray? Thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.