Radiator Inlet-Outlet Fittings

Home Page Forums Engine Radiator Inlet-Outlet Fittings

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by .
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

In checking a Fedders radiator from a 1932 Series 43, I noticed the round portion of the cast-iron lower hose fitting is deteriorated to the point that this is likely the source of the reported radiator leak. I filled the unit with water and can not find any sign of a leak, and there is no staining of the core or tanks which one might expect.

As the radiator is out of the Car, this is the best time to consider repair or replacement of this fitting. Is this fitting available anywhere? Has anyone repaired a fitting like this? Use of epoxy, JB Weld, Liquid Steel, et al come to mind.

Since this is the cold-water return to the engine, I’d use JB Weld and build up the wall-thickness of the fitting.

When or who reported a radiator leak? Most likely the water pump is sucking in air, vastly increasing the volume

of the coolant in the system with the resulting bubbles and foam.. Then the excess is pushed out the radiator overflow line..

I have just developed a modern ‘Seal-Pac’ that is put in the water pump’s ‘packing-chamber’ or ‘packing-sleeve’.

If the water pump’s shaft is reasonably smooth, and the pump’s bushing not grossly worn, this ‘Seal-Pac; will seal the water pump from leaking water out, and sucking air in.

Randy: Check your email.

Greg Long

On one of my Pierce cars, I took two single lip shaft seals with springs, that both fit snug in water packing housing and snug around water pump shaft.

I then installed them back to back, thus one seal was keeping water in, and one seal was keeping air out.

Worked like a charm….no leaks and no maintenance…

It’s a car I bought.

Thanks!

Should read 1931 Series 43

Come on Randy, tell us about your “new”” car. Photos?

Inquiring minds want to know.”

Go to the Pierce Facebook page and you can see it! Looks like a very nice car….

Only photo I have, so far…

Randy,

I had the same problem with my newly acquired ’32. In addition to recoring the radiator the shop cut off the extension of the outlet and soldered in a brass tube as a replacement. The inside diameter is reduced slightly but not a great deal. The outside diameter is 2″ rather than 2 1/4 and I had to install a rubber sleeve to take up the space. It seems to work great. The first photo shows the old outlet and the second photo will show the fix. The third photo shows the sleeve.

Bill”

Second photo with fix

Third photo with sleeve.

What the heck. Fourth photo with new hose attached.

Nice Job !!

Greg L

Great fix, thanks for sharing. Gotta find a way forward, so there!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.