Rear seat assist strap

Home Page Forums Body Rear seat assist strap

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Can somebody tell me how this bracket comes off the wood frame of the body. It looks like the same setup as the blanket rail on the back of the front seat, but there is no set screw on the base like the seat rail bracket. The center loop pivots easliy but it doesn’t unscrew. I have taken the upholstery off all the way around the base of the mount and there is no flange. Jim

Usually this is two pieces, the outer piece (to which the swivel is attached) has a knob on the back of it, the inner piece has an inverted keyhole shaped slot, the knob goes in the slot and slips down in place. The inner piece is attached to the wood with screws.

If you gently tap up on the outer piece, it should slip up and out.

I do not have specific knowledge of the part shown in the photograph, but based on others I’ve seen this should be the case.

On several I have removed there is a set screw on the side or bottom of the bezel, if you can get it to back off then up I just gently push up on the arm and it slides up in its slot till it will release. Then the bezel can be removed after. They often brake apart before they come off. Take your time and be gentle. It isn’t easy to save them.

Ed has more experience than I do. And, the slot I mention is keyhole shaped, not inverted.

Ed there were no set screws like the rail brackets on the back of the front seat.

David you were spot on, I used a piece of wood and tapped with a hammer upward and they came apart. After the outer piece slid up I needed to pry it out gently. Thanks to both for the responses, I’m getting real paranoid about how easy this pot metal is breaking. Jim

Interesting, I have never seen one with two key slots, just one. Thanks for posting.

Glad to help. I’ve been fooling with old cars for over 50 years, as have many of you…decades ago, pot metal was holding together OK, but now, with 80 to 100 years on it, it fails easily.

About a year ago I acquired a 1927 Dodge Fast Four cabriolet, no big deal, but a rare car in it’s little world. A good friend is a Mopar collector from way back, as was his father (if the name Burchill means anything to you). He showed me all the pot metal pitfalls of this car, from distributor housing to starter to generator to…well, you get the idea, pot metal was a cheap way to go and would last for a while, but the Engineers never intended for it to be permanent….

I’m not the expert, but experienced on interior trim and upholstery to some degree, used to do it professionally but now retired from an Engineering life, and doing leather work and wood bow tops for a hobby….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.