rear window removal

Home Page Forums Body rear window removal

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by .
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Any tips on removing the rear glass from my ’35 Club sedan body? It needs to be replaced but hoping to get it out reasonably intact for patterns.

It appears it was installed from the outside into a thin steel angle retainer nailed to the surrounding body wood. Can’t get to the nails of the retainer of course without removing the glass. Is it just held in place with adhesive to the rubber gasket?

Looks like tapping it out from the inside with a wood block may be the only way.

thanks for any help!

Jim

It comes out from the inside. I have owned both a 35 and 36 club sedan, they both remove from the inside. The 34 club sedan John Cislak sold last year was the same also.

Ed, thanks you’re right. After putting on my 3.50 magnifier reading glasses and poking at it I discovered I wasn’t looking at a rusted steel retainer but the dried gasket itself. A nail sticking up between the wood and the gasket misled me to think it was nailed in, and the woodgrain of the steel window reveal backing it up must have transferred to the gasket making it look like surface rust. The inner plastic layer of the window of course was disintegrated but I managed to get the two thin glass panes out intact after breaking up the gasket.

Dis-assembling without causing more damage is always a problem, particularly when dealing with wood framed cars where the framework was glued and screwed from the outside before assembling the sheet metal to it.

Thanks for your help!

Jim

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.