Rebuilt Engine Longevity

Home Page Forums Engine Rebuilt Engine Longevity

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

The Series 36 also has a bypass oil filter that operates as Greg described above. It is the silver canister in the upper left of the photo. The element is replaceable with a farm equipment filter. I can dig up the part number if anybody needs it.

A good air filter is the bigger challenge on the Series 33/36 engines. There are two air intakes on the carb, one a round screen and one that comes into the side of the carb through the block from the right side of the engine below the exhaust manifold( the polished piece behind the water pump outlet pipe is the intake). Just to make it more challenging, there is also a water pipe that goes through the same opening (the valve visible below the air intake) plus some small holes for the water line on the carb side of it. As Paul Johnson referenced above, there also appears to be an opening inside the passage through the block that pulls crankcase air into the intake. So there are a lot of sources for air.

I have been trying to come up with something to filter the incoming air. The round screen could be wrapped, but coming up with something for the block intake is a little more challenging. I have thought about something very thin to go between the carb and the block, but it wouldn’t have much surface area and having to pull the carb loose every time I wanted to clean it would be a pain. If anybody has come up with a good air filter solution for the later dual valve 6’s, please post it. Dave

Gents,

The positive crankcase tube on my 1925 Series 80 comes out of the rear valve cover and goes into the air-horn base of the carburetor.

Peter

Gents,

My Series 80 also has an oil filter canister, although I am absolutely suspect of its utility.

Peter

Bob Coates, yes, please delete the earthlink address, it’s dead. I use the Dualvalve@gmail account only at this time.

Greg

A bypass filter doesn’t seem like it would be that effective, but if the engine is clean, and the bypass is kept clean, the oil is constantly being filtered, and it is quite effective.

Dave White: search the K&N site for a tube-shaped motorcycle air filter, you might find one that will slide over the screen on your Series 36 cars.

Greg

Thanks Greg. Have you seen anything that would fit over the flat opening on the right side of the block?

Regarding air filters for a ’29 and ’30 car.

Other than for Judging, installing an air filter assembly from a ’31 or ’32 is a great way to protect your engine. Not only is the filter setup an original Pierce Arrow part, but it also has a unique setup for getting heated ‘inside the hood’ air, or with a damper/door on the intake snorkel, it can be switched to pull in cooler air from outside the engine bay. The outside air is pulled up through louvers in the engine splash pan.

There is a cylindrical air filter inside a roughly ‘figure-8’ shaped air cleaner body or cover.

Pulling cooler outside air instead of air heated to coolant temperature by coming through the radiator adds a few horsepower to the engine, and reduces the carb’s temperature a little bit as well.

Greg

David,

I found a K & N air filter that with a minor adaptation fits nicely on the airhorn of my Series 80.

I DK the part number, but it was not difficult to find the correct diameter and to create a fitting.

If you are interested, be in touch and I will send you a photo or two with dimensions.

Peter

Peter,

There are some of us Series 80 owners that would like to see what you have. Please post pictures here and if you can find the part number that would be a plus.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken, Check also with Greg Long, I believe he has / makes an adapter and has the K&N filter info. George Teebay also might be able to help you with this. He had one on his S80 cars.

Peter, Thanks for trying, the dual valve 6 in my Series 36 has a completely different air intake setup than the Series 80/81 even though it is the same era. It has two air intakes, one with a cylindrical screen, the other comes through a passage that passes through the block from the right side below the exhaust manifold to the carb on the left side of the block. I think I am going to go through the K&N catalog and see if there is anything that will fit the opening in the block and possibly make an adapter. There are several simple solutions for the cylindrical screen, it is the other one that I am trying to figure out. It sounds like Ken could use your photos and information.

As a footnote: I am trying to gather information on modern air filter solutions for P-As to put together an article for a future PASB. If anyone has any solutions, please e-mail me any information and photos you might have. [email protected]

Thanks, Dave

Dave,

Thank you for the heads up. I will check with George and Greg. George is familiar with our car and would know what I should do for the filter. When George was in Morro Bay he drove our car around. It happens that George’s car is one Serial Number off of mine.

Ken

Hi Ken,

This is the air filter and adapter that I have several of.

The original ‘rock-deflector’ mushroom cap us unscrewed from the aluminum ‘cornucopia’ intake casting. The aluminum adapter is threaded in, using the original threads.

Then the K&N filter is put on over the adapter.

I wanted the largest air filter I could find, I’ve seen some small filters adapted to the Series 80 carburetors, and they look odd and out of place. The size proportions need to be right. And I wanted the largest diameter inlet adapter, so that it was not a restriction causing reduced power or overly rich mixture.

The K&N filter just fits under the intake manifold, and if the inlet of the filter was centered, concentric with the outside diameter, the filter would be jammed and dented against the intake manifold’s exhaust-heat chamber. K&N has this filter with the inlet offset from center. It fits perfectly.

Greg Long

Gents,

Here is the non-concours K&N setup on my Seres 80.

I believe the P/N of the filter is RD-0700 and as you will see on the photo, it is held in place with a band clamp.

I believe that I telephoned K&N and gave them the OD of the air-horn flange and clearance height so that I obtained the correct filter as there are a dozen different opening sizes for the “B035B4 model they sell.

Ken, also note that I run a Stromberg O-3 carburetor on my Series 80.

That carburetor is from a Series 81 and has been on the car since the late 1920s.

In determining the correct filter to purchase, I made a number of measurements to figure out how much clearance I had between the top of the air-horn, minus the rock cap, and the bottom of the intake manifold, which is also from a Series 81.

Peter

Gents,

It appears from Greg’s photo that on the Series 80 intake manifold, the drop-down neck is shorter than on the Series 81 intake manifold.

It also appears that the neck of the Series 80 carburetor is shorter than that of the Stromberg O-3.

Perhaps, Greg will pass along the K&N filter information (P/N) for you Series 80 Gents, while all of you Series 81 Gents who run the Stromberg O-3, have that info on my post above.

Peter

Greg and Peter,

Thank you for sharing. Here is a picture of the cleaner on top of my air intake on my Series 80. On the inside there freewheeling cone configuration that spins when the Car is running. It seems to force more air into the intake.

I also bought a used Carb with the Mushroom Cap that Greg is referring to so I would have an original Cap.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken

Series 80 Carb Filter

This should work.

Since we have progressed to ways to protect our engines, I can use your help or suggestions. I am still struggling with how to attach a modern air filter to my chrome trumpet air intake on the carburetor on my ’29 8-cylinder engine. There are a few issues. First is the crank case ventilation hose that comes off the engine and attached to the chrome air trumpet a few millimeters from the end. Second is the flange on the bottom of the chrome air trumpet that with a nut and bolt to hole the trumpet onto the carburetor (see images). Both of these prevent using a simple slide on circular K&N air filter. Any suggestion how to fit a modern air cleaner on to this?

Robert

second photo

I would remove the chrome extension and mount a filter directly to the airhorn on the carb.

For the valve cover breather tube I would just put a small breather cap or just let it free air.

Just use the chrome extension for showing the car.

Doc,

I have the same issue. I agree with Craig, we need to find a filter assembly that has the same attaching scheme as the trumpet. The good thing is we have room between the carb and the fuel pump. As for the breather tube, it would be nice to replicate a 60’s vintage PCV valve setup, but we don’t have a vacuum port on the carb. Short of that, it would make sense to put a small filter on the end of the breather tube and let it hang in free air.

I do remember John Cislak said he was working on something for the ’29’s and ’30’s to provide some type of air filtration. Ed, do you have an update?

David Coco, Greg, et al, any thoughts?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.