Repair/Replace Ignition Switch

Home Page Forums General Repair/Replace Ignition Switch

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

The ignition switch in my 1932 Model 54 Club Sedan has “electrically gone out.” As a temporary measure I’ve bypassed it with a knife switch, but I would like to repair or replace the original switch if possible. Is this a difficult procedure? Are parts available? Thanks.

Joe,

TAKE PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING YOU DISASSEMBLE!

The switch is relatively easy to disassemble it mounts to the back of the steering wheel lock via two flat head screws. Disconnect the wires from the two terminals first and then remove the screws. Once the switch is off the car you can carefully separate the metal switch cover from the bakelite terminal block of the switch.

When you have it open you’ll see the moving block that has to phosphor bronze contacts on it and these shuttle between two positions on the back of the terminal block. If you’re lucky you can just clean everything up and put it back together. If one of the phosphor bronze contacts is broken you’ll need to make a new one and rivet it back to the moving block.

When you put it all back together and mount the switch back on the lock frame make sure that the little pin that sticks out of the lock engages the hole in the moving block inside the switch.

Good luck!

Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.