replacement exhaust manifold

Home Page Forums Engine replacement exhaust manifold

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Purchased an exhaust manifold from Pierce member to replace my 3-time cracked one. Was told it was originally from cast done by L. Stone and would fit my 29 Pierce. However, manifold does not appear to fit – issues with intake. Manifold seems like it would mount up to the engine, and to the downpipe. It appears the exhaust manifold mounts on top of the intake and the carburetor mounts to the bottom of the intake. On the “new” manifold, the exhaust manifold seems to be underneath the intake and the carburetor mounts to the exhaust manifold. I know this is difficult to explain – I can post pictures.

Any input from anyone as to why? Need help as don’t know what else to do to get this car up and running again :(

Post photos, the mainfold made by stone has been used on many, many cars. They require machine work to fit them to the intake manifold, and while not difficult you need special equipment. My guess is that who ever is installing it does not have the skills required, as I have never heard any issues with the Stone manifold. PAS member John Cislak has installed several new manifolds over the past few years, one on my car last summer. Give him a call, he can give you some help. Take your time and do it right, it should work out ok. Ed

Last evening I spoke with the P-A member that I purchased the manifold from. He tells me it seems that I have a 1930 manifold on my car, not a 29, and that’s the reason for the fitting issues. He is sending me an intake so that this will work on my car. I am posting a photo of my manifold. I do not have access right at this moment to the replacement manifold for comparison.

additional photo

Is your car a late ’29?

Our car was made in Nov. of 1929 and it has a 1930 manifold just like the one you have on your car.

Our ’29 is a very original car and I firmly believe that the engine was produced with the ’30 manifold because of the very late 1929 production date.

My ’29 was built in late September of 1929 and it also has the 1930 manifold. The 29 parts book shows both manifold styles..

The Lionel Stone manifolds are the early style and will not work with a late (1930 style) intake manifold.

You’ll need to find an early intake manifold to make the replacement work.

Bill

Do I reference the engine # to determine if my car was built in late 29?

I believe I went by the body numbers to determine when ours was built.

Hello Philomena,

Your car is a relatively late 1929 car. From the Roster, your Serial Number is 2006465. The latest known 1929 Serial Number for 1929 Model 133 is 2007885.

Your engine number in the Roster is A-8330.

From our files, #123628 (inlet) and #123476 (exhaust) manifolds used up to eng. #A-8100. #730025 (inlet) and #730026 (exhaust) manifolds used after eng. #A-8101. There was a manifold change made just prior to your engine number. So it seems plausible that your car was built with the 1930 style manifold.

Happy Motoring,

Chris Diekman

Thank you all for your responses. Interesting that all these years I never knew that I had the 30′ manifold, and have been looking for a 29! I’m picking the Pierce up today, as I have no intake at this time and winter is approaching very fast. Oil and transmission fluid were changed at this time, and hopefully I can get the manifold replaced in spring.

I have a question on rear window replacement which I will post in the appropriate area.

My 1920’s garb picture just for fun!

Hi Philomena,

Beautiful photo! This discussion on 1929 Pierce Arrow manifolds has been highly interesting.I own a 1929 Sport Roadster that has only 24000 miles from new and the engine number is A-7559 and my car’s serial number is 2005776.The manifold on my car is the true 1929 style and fortunately it is still like new but I worry about all these cracking manifolds out there.How many miles does your car have on it? I am wondering if the 1930 style has more of a tendency to crack.I would be interested to know how well the Stone manifold attaches to the original part with the machining and how it looks.

Bill

Thank you – love dressing in 20’s style! I won for best costume :)

My Pierce has 52,000K.

Hope I can let you know how the manifold looks – if I can get it done in spring. Nice day here in Pennsylvania so I am driving it back home to store it for the winter. Hardly had it out this year :(

Here is a shot of a 1929 early style manifold and intake. I will post a few more below. I would run the new Stone manifold if you can find the right intake, as it is a much less expensive option than the 30 manifold, or the 31-32 manifold also. It may require a new front exhaust pipe to the muffler, but that should not be too difficult or expensive. Be sure to check that your Stromberg UU-2 is not having any problems with pot metal failure either, as it could cause a severe fire. ED

Here is a shot of a 1929 early style manifold and intake. I will post a few more below. I would run the new Stone manifold if you can find the right intake, as it is a much less expensive option than the 30 manifold, or the 31-32 manifold also. It may require a new front exhaust pipe to the muffler, but that should not be too difficult or expensive. Be sure to check that your Stromberg UU-2 is not having any problems with pot metal failure either, as it could cause a severe fire. ED

Sorry for the 2x post…. next photo.

another…..

last one….

Ok thank you

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.