Richard H Magoon, P-A Dealer

Home Page Forums General Richard H Magoon, P-A Dealer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Back in the 1980’s I came across several pages of photos from an album previously owned by a Richard H Magoon (b 1876?). From the photos and notes by the photos he owned a P-A Dealership in Southern CA and had an earlier dealer ship in Cleveland Ohio (R H Magoon Motor Car Co, 410-412 Eirie St, Cleveland) At the Cleveland site he also sold Pope Toledo and Pope Waverly Electrics. I would like to find out more history about this gentleman for a potetial Arrow article if I can. Anyone have any knowledge of a “Richard H Magoon” FOR our P-A History? Thanks, Walter McDaniel

A quick internet search turned up an Aug 22-23, 1904 record of an RH Magoon running a stock Pope-Toledo touring car at the Glenville Driving Track in Cleveland Ohio.

In one contest he ran all 5 laps and placed 3rd.

Sounds like your guy.

He also drove in other contests during that same time frame.

Here is the link I found. Happy hunting!

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ancestraltree/doc/acstewart/1904.pdf

After doing a little research I found the following information that might help create a timeline for R.H. Magoon.

– He started with Old’s (1899-1901).

– Sold Pope – Toledo Automobiles (1904 – ?)

– R. H. Magoon Motor Car Co. located at 9th Street, Cleveland Ohio selling Pope-Toledo (1909)

– Partnered with another dealer to sell Wood’s Electric in Minneapolis, Minnesota (1910)

– The Leach Biltwell Motor Car Co of Los Angeles buys the Republic Truck Plant (Dec 20,1919)

– R. H. Magoon appears in the 1920 U.S. Censes living in Los Angeles CA with wife Betty T. Magoon

– Leach Biltwell acquires the Miller Engine & Foundry of Los Angeles (May 28,1921)

– R. H. Magoon (Age: 44) joins the sales department of the Leach Biltwell Motor Car Co. to assist Charles Hagenios – Sales Manager (July 7, 1921)

I was not able to find any information about R. H. Magoon selling Pierce-Arrow’s automobiles between 1910 thru 1921. The Pierce-Arrow dealer in Cleveland Ohio during the time of the R. H. Magoon Motor Car Co. (1905) was the Metropolitan Motor Car Co. located at E.19th Street and Euclid Ave. They sold Pierce-Arrow, Stearns, and Cadillac. The last article I could locate with an advertisement of the Metropolitan Motor Car Co. was in the publication “Automobile Topic”, 1915.

Sadly, nothing came up with in my search connecting Magoon to Pierce-Arrow, Metropolitan Motor Car Co or a published move to Los Angeles before 1921 related to the automobile industry.

On a side note, I do have pictures of the Ralph Hamlin Pierce-Arrow, Franklin, REO dealership in Southern California (not sure where the dealership was exactly located) during the mid 1920’s. It could be possible that R. H. Magoon worked as a salesman or manager under a dealer in the Los Angeles area/region.

Hopefully this information will help to get you started…

References: Motor Cyclopedia Year Book, 1909

Automobile Topics, 1915

International Motor Cyclopedia, 1908

Automobile Topics, July 9, 1910

The Motor Way, 1907

Motor Age, July 7, 1921

Something I ran across…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.