Running board step lamps 1929-1931

Home Page Forums Body Running board step lamps 1929-1931

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author

Peter, I guess lots of things about Richard’s car stood out to me as I have a ’29 so I am always interested in all the little differences between the various body styles and models.

Heck, mid year changes make it a challenge to keep everything straight. :)

If Ricard added those accents, it’s not necessarily a bad thing, I just like to try and keep things straight in my own mind as to what is factory correct.

Looking at a photo of the “Spencer Tracy” 1931 roadster I find the round lamp with 2 chrome strips. I looks like a short wheelbase car. What model is this car? All photos of club sedans, and long wheel base cars show a rectangle lamp. LeBaron and Salon cars show 3 beautiful strips and rectangular lamps. Has anyone ever seen Model 43’s with any lamps? Karl

1931 Rollston

On that roadster, running boards help tell. 41 was 147″ wb and had 5 strips in raised rubber, the 42 was 142″ wb, raised but plain.

This picture gives just enough angle to appear raised and plain. The bumper also is split like a 42, 41 would be a single. Maybe a 43 expert can weigh in on that possibility.

Cool pics Karl!

I’d say the Spencer Tracy roadster picture is a Model 42….

The late production 1930 Model C sedan we owned from 1995 to 2005 had round running board lights with no trim strips as per the attached photograph. Most of the history of the car was unknown, so whether these were a late production feature, added by the dealer or by an earlier owner was not clear. Along with plated hood louvres they created interest and comment at PAS events.

No Model 43 cars from 1931 ever came with the lights or Spears that I am aware of. Model 42 had the round lights,but many didn’t have any spears………..and I have been studying them for forty years. Again, almost every car 1931 and earlier didn’t come with spears, a very few did, but everyone jumped on the bandwagon and put them on in the early 60’s. While I don’t mind people dressing up their car as they see fit with correct era appropriate items, I can tell you this for certain……..take a car to Pebble Beach and get asked about a splash apron light or any spears, you better have documentation and photos to PROVE it correct, or your going home empty handed. For years people have been adding sidemount covers, mirrors, spot lights, Tripp lights, pilate rays , trunks, step pads, spears, Stone guards, the list is endless……BUT today’s trend is to go back to the pure look of a car in the showroom. I could go on for pages, but the era of the circus wagon are over. Nice suttle and refund upgrades are fine……and appropriate, but the junked up jewelry with incorrect period colors will NOT get you invited to the big shows………IF YOU CARE ABOUT SUCH THINGS! And many people don’t. Remember this is supposed to be FUN! I am intrested in historically accurate cars…..but slight variations for a new owner or a new restoration should be tolerated in the spirit of fair play. And yes……I have some incorrect items on my cars that would not have been done in the era…….It is after all my car…….and during judging I was deducted….AS IT SHOULD BE! And I have no issues with the judges decision.

Richard……I like your car, and how you add accessories is and should be entirely up to you. I like the round splash apron light on your car, the spears on a 29 for ME are a little too much, but make it your car the way YOU like it. It’s not impossible that someone would have asked for them two years later. Interestingly I have a car in the garage that had documented special order splash apron light on each side with a colored lens……then another was added less than a year later for two lights one red, one blue on the side……..we have the documentation in photos and writing on the car……along with a BUNCH of other MAJOR changes done in thr first three years by the original owner. Early in my collecting I liked to add stuff to my cars…..after many years, my taste had matured and I now prefer the simple clean look of a factory floor car.

I like the round lights on Richard’s car as well.

They are understated and for me could definitely have been a factory light with the larger light going on the longer wheelbase car.

The photo is of my 1930 Salon Model A. It has the rectangular step light, six trim strips adjacent to it, and metal strips in the running board rubber. I am looking for another step light, the strips, and the running board metal. The body style is a convertible sedan with a semi-custom body by Dietrich.

Sorry guys. I was trying to figure a way to edit my post but ended up deleting it by accident.

Craig is correct that my car did NOT have the chrome accents or lamps on it when I bought it. The car was about 98% original. Nothing on the outside body had been modified as I could tell. A few things were added to the engine. Just the superficial stuff that was easily removed.

As the restoration began, I started looking at all sorts of pictures of Pierce Arrow’s. I fell in love with the running board lights and the chrome accents. I saw one long wheel based, open touring car. I think it was a 30 or 31. It had the round lamps and another car had the spears. I thought they both would look great.

Because Pierce openly advertised “Custom”, I thought I had some accessory leeway. i.e.spears, lamps, fog lights, chrome wires, Radio. Either way, I wanted them for my car, if I could locate some.

I was very fortunate to find some long-time Pierce members that had these parts and allowed me to purchase these rare items for my car.

My car will have a bit more chrome than most and will be FLASHY by Pierce-Arrow standards. However, it will be well done and a treasure to look at. Despite those who will walk right up to a perfect stranger and start in…….why did you do that?…….That’s wrong!……You shouldn’t have done that.

I totally respect those opinions, and as Ed said, I should be deducted for them if ever judged. No problem! If I ask and or we have a general conversation about the correctness, I would enjoy hearing all the good and the bad/incorrect. Its the only way you learn.

My wish for all the people ready to attack any owners car, remember, its there car and they love it. They probably already know that bolt is wrong or this or that is wrong. They don’t need you to point it out. Let it be fun owning the car, not a source of misery or annoyance, every time they leave an event.

what is that old adage????………….oh yes. If you can’t say anything nice, don’t’ say anything at all.

p.s. This post is not pointed to this thread. This thread is a healthy conversation of the correct and incorrect components of the year. I found it to be very educational.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents because several dozen people have started to consistently stop by and see my unfinished car. It amazes me. They pick on nuts, bolts, tires, paint, chrome. it goes on and on. (of course, they or someone they know has one just like it and they should know) lolol. This happens in the antique pedal car hobby too. To this day, I just don’t get it.

I guess people just don’t’ like it if you have something special and nice.

Richard……way back in 1990 when I painted my 1936 V-12 Club Sedan a rather bright blue………quite a few of the old time founding members disapproved. It’s approaching thirty years later and I still like the color and wouldn’t change a thing. Adding “bolt on” accessories is always fine. Even if you need to drill a few holes in the tin, they are easily closed and not trace remains in the future……..no problem! When people start cutting down windshields, changing the shape of their convertible top, ect……..tats where things get out of hand. I think most of the comments are posted NOT to be critical, but make new members aware a new total restoration that is well done my not be competitive for a trophy at the meets because of authenticity deductions. I don’t have a photo of it, but my 1936 car has some rather glaring 1935 parts on it……because I like it that way. And yes……I had to drill some extra holes. The Pierce Arrow Society is much more like a family than a car club, and most everyone looks out for everyone else……that’s what makes this club so much better than the rest. I have belonged to lots of clubs over the years, and now only have membership in four of them. The PAS is the best club in the hobby. I can assure you all of us are looking forward to seeing your car………..Ask Robert Brown about the friendly advice and comments he received when he brought his 29 roadster out for the first time……..he was smiling as people were helping him out with all the correct hardware and bits. Ed

Ed,

I was making a comment on several people in general that are fanatically critical. I think I even mentioned that my comment was not directed toward the post/thread. As you said. It should be fun and fun for those around you. Bottom line.

Rick

And I’m still smiling!

Richard…..It was clearly understood. Wait till the guys introduce you to another tradition among the regulars at the meet….the key swap………..

“They probably already know that bolt is wrong or this or that is wrong. They don’t need you to point it out.”

I’m always amazed at the people who come up to my Pierce and say things like “did you know you had a scratch on your rear fender” or “did you know you’re supposed to have a bare headed archer on your car, that one’s incorrect”.

I’ve owned the car 35 years and known the car over 50 years. Yes, I know just about every nut and bolt and scratch and oddball part on the car, thank you very much.

As stated, why pick on a car to the owner? No purpose in it…unless he asks for your specific opinion…

Dave,

EXACTLY MY POINT!

We all buy these beauties to love,enjoy and have loads of fun with them. No Matter what they are, or shape their in. 😉😋

I am in need of 2 round step lights for the ’32 Model 54 Coupe I recently

purchased from a distinguished emeritus member. I require these lights to

illuminate the 20 spears the car is adorned with (many more than Custer

suffered in the battle with the Sioux). This does not include the 11″mini

spears that open and shut the hood vents, cowl vents, and golf bag opening.

If a personal license plate is acquired, it will read: Bling is Good.

Sorry, can’t help with the lights but had to say, your post is awesome.

Rick

As to my big PA catalog for the 1930 cars all the model A’s did have rectangular lights, all model B’s did have round lights and none of the model C did have lights at all! Of course they could have changed this design at the end of the year.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.