Sad

Home Page Forums General Sad

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Someone put a ton of time and money into that car and they could have just restored it to its original glory for about the same effort.

And it is $10K more than the real ’34. I am bewildered

The real one has 6 days of bidding left…

Where is the “real 1934″” posted? I did not see it on e-bay.”

Gents,

Here is the active link.

I think that at the next Meet David White should put on a Mini (not Ed Mini) workshop on how to correctly post a link on the PAS website. ;-)

Peter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-Pierce-Arrow-840A-wood/173744921813?hash=item2874011cd5:g:D5AAAOSwpzRcP7sq:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Gents,

Just delete the “http://” and then paste it onto the space below for Optional URL, OR, paste it and then edit out the “http://” ;-) Again!

Peter

Peter, Your description of copying a link works, OR when you copy it, highlight starting with the www. Like: http://www.pierce-arrow.org. Don’t copy the http://. Copy it, paste it into the “Optional URL” window and the website will add the http://. If you paste the http:// in the box the website adds it again and the link won’t work.

Posting photos has also been a big issue. The key is the resolution of the photo. I post my photos at 1200 pixels on the long side and it has worked every time. If the photo is high resolution, you will need to downsize it using a photo editing program. Windows 10 comes with a program called “Photos” that has a resize function in it. I use a free download photo organizing program called “FastStone”. It has a resize function under the edit tab. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to post multiple photos in a single posting.

I am working on an article to put in a future PASB on posting links and photos as well as how to search the message board and the Service Bulletin disk. I will also post something on the Message Board. The website update is progressing, however, there are a lot of “behind the scenes” parts of the website that is making it a very time consuming undertaking for the committee.

Gentlemen:

At the risk of bringing down the torch bearing, pitchfork carrying, villagers upon myself, I feel it is time to say what needs to be said (again)

At the mini meet last year in March, I voiced my opinion that it is time the Pierce-Arrow Society get off its butt and get into the 21st century…

This website is completely outdated, and needs a complete rebuild..period.

It is time for the members of the PAS board to stop putting off the fact that we need a new, modern, website that we can post links to without manipulating them to fit this outdated technology. We need a new forum, possibly one that will allow us a group chat room, where we can converse with whoever is online at the time. We need a new forum that will allow us to post any size pictures, or videos, and as many as needs be, to explain whatever procedure is being asked upon at the time. We need to get this done.

I know most of you will scoff at this idea, because you are complacent with what we have now, and you feel there is no need to change anything. Add to this the fact that you are scared to try new things, and have to get used to a whole new set up again does not help matters much. But it’s time to embrace the future and, while the future can be scary, it can also be an eye opener.

When I joined the PAS in 1999 this is the website I joined on. It is outdated, and simply exchanging out a few photos here and there does not mean it has been “updated” in any way. The technology that exists today simply cannot be downloaded into this dinosaur of a website. We need to start from scratch and build a new one. The new, modern website of the Pierce-Arrow Foundation Museum is a good role model to start with.

The Pierce-Arrow Motor car company died as result of the fact that it’s management and board would simply not change with the times, even when the writing was clearly on the wall…have the board members of the Pierce-Arrow Society adopted that same policy towards it’s own website?…

“If you build it, he will come.”

Not to kick the beehive, but I think the PAS website is about the best in the old car hobby. Before we abandon what we have, we ought to see what other groups have. I belong to the Franklin Club and it’s website is terrible at best, unusable at worst. There is no forum for discussion. I have advocated that the Franklin Club model its website after the Pierce Arrow Society.

I know nothing is really democratic, but I’ve got to say that I see nothing wrong with the website as it is. I’ve been able to post whatever photos I want. I really like the ability to engage in the forums, and even the Emporium works great for me. And the website looks good, too. Classy.

Now maybe I am a 19th Century guy at heart, but when I see something that works well in my opinion, I see no reason to get rid of it because it’s old and outdated. And yes, I’ve been using it since 2006, and I am used to it. And no, I don’t want to learn a whole new format. Anything new seems to be hugely complicated.

No intention to make enemies here. What you folks do is up to you and will happen what I think or not. But someone needs to say that they like the current format.

Our content is very good and we definitely want to keep that intact and be able to expand it. The digital platform is decades old and that is what needs updating.

I will be pushing for action again at the Winter Board Meeting in Branson. Last summer in Rohnert Park the Board voted to spend up to $10,000 to update the platform and database, but it is still being studied to ensure that we make changes wisely and facilitate easy conversion.

Dave Stevens

Most modern auto enthusiast sites use vBulletin.

It looks better and is more accommodating than what we have now.

Transferring existing data into searchable threads would be the biggest issue with a move like that.

That is no small task.

Curtiss,

I agree with the posting of pictures, there needs to be a preview before posting an ad or message so you know if the pictures will post or not and if an ad, we need to be able to delete like a message instead of having multiple ads posted hoping the picture posted this time.

I don’t think it needs to be scrapped completely but some improvements are sorely needed without adding lots of bells and whistles that are going to slow down loadings.

Don’t ask me to help design it, if it doesn’t produce carbon monoxide and/or cut you I don’t know anything about it. My $.02 JimL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.