Searching for 1928 Series 81 7 passenger sedan

Home Page Forums General Searching for 1928 Series 81 7 passenger sedan

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I would like to locate my grandfather’s 1928 Series 81 7-Passenger sedan, serial 8102235, once owned by (former?) member Stan Long residence Solvang, CA.

Please reply to Bob Reeves, [email protected]

This might be a car of interest to the Society: it was the President’s car built for Myron Forbes. He retained it when Studebaker put him out on the street Dec 31 1929. Eventually it came to his daughter Helen, and I remember driving around Pasadena as my mother’s daily driver until 1948. At that time it went to the other daughter. My cousin told me she was able to hold her Brownie meetings in it. Eventually they put it out on the corner of a service station and it was eventually purchased, perhaps by Mr. Long who eventually had it. I understand that a full restoration was performed and that every engine part was stamped with grandfather’s initials, MEF.

It would be very nice to find it again. I don’t believe I even have a picture.

Surprising that none of the PAS historians have chimed in with any information that the PAS has on the car.

It has a very interesting history, I hope you’re able to locate the car.

Searching online I found this Mecum Auction ad from last Nov. Could this be it? Last 2 numbers are reversed.

http://www.mecum.com/lots/AN1116-260294/1928-pierce-arrow-series-81-limousine/

Thank you Craig! Perhaps your message will pique the historian’s interest and some clue will emerge.

James, thank you for your efforts! I don’t think that is the car; I understand that it was fully restored, perhaps by the former PAS owner Stan Long, although it was fully driveable with intact paint and upholstery the last I knew.

I took the serial number from the roster entry, and might have inverted numbers. I wonder if anyone has access to older rosters and can verify the numbers and follow Mr. Long’s moves.

I checked my cache of old PAS Rosters for vehicle number 8102235 – 8102248(e)and found a Ser 81 7 Pass Sedan #159 listed as belonging to W. Stanley Long from 1973 to 1996. From 1996 to date, 8102235 does not appear. (1973 is the earliest Roster I have and I can’t find my Rosters for 1981/82/83.)

Mr. W. Stanley Long is listed as living in Seattle, WA from 1973 to 1999 except for the years 1987 to 1992 when he lived in Solvang CA. Rosters for 2000 and later do not list a W. Stanley Long.

Thank you Rick! That’s the car and the owner. Seattle is an interesting lead; I have relatives there. Perhaps the genealogy people can locate him or the family. I’ll keep this thread updated if there is any significant news.

Found an obit, surely the same person as he is described as a collector of classic cars.

“Wayne Stanley LONG at age 70, passed away peacefully at UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles, California on May 14, 2002.

Beloved life partner of 43 years to Frank “Al” Sandin, cherished uncle to Terri Erspamer, Jean St. Germain, Jon Hillstead, Beth Holand and Kristen Russell, great-uncle to Jeannette and Daren Erspamer, Mike and Bruce Parsons, Jon, Ashley and Emma Hillstead, great-great-uncle to Katrina and Kelsey Parsons, dear brother of Jean and Robert Hillstead and treasured friend to countless.

Mr. Long was born on September 15, 1931 in Hollywood, California to Freda Walker and Martin Long. He attended L.A. City College and the University of Washington. Following military service in the Navy, Mr. Long moved to Seattle in 1954. Four years later he established a car dealership in Burien which in 1963 became the existing BBC Dodge. The dealership which originally had three employees grew under his leadership to a staff of 80. Mr. Long’s diverse interests included collecting classic cars which he and Dr. Sandin personally restored. Additionally, he spent many days boating the waters of the Pacific Northwest. His greatest joy, however, came from people he was a mentor and inspiration to many. Mr. Long was a member of St. Mark’s Cathedral in Seattle and Church of St. Paul in the Desert, Palm Springs, California.

Services will be held at St. Mark’s Cathedral Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 10 a.m. followed by Interment at Forest Lawn Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may

be made to Gift of the Heart Foundation, 100 – UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 600, Los Angeles, CA. 90095.

May 19, 2002

Seattle Times”

I recently came across this screen grab I took in June from the HCCA buy & sell site of a 1928 Ser 81 Pierce-Arrow 7 Pass sedan. There is a reference to both Myron Forbes and a Mr. Reeves which seems to tie into this discussion started by Bob Reeves in August. The trail is getting hotter!

Update on our search: The note from Rick Morrison pointed us to a collector in the Seattle area who acquired the car from former PAS member Stan Long and was now wanting to sell it on. So a mere 1300 miles of driving and there was Grandfather’s car sitting in front of us! It happily rode back to So. Cal. where it grandly receives our devoted attention. We hope to have it out on tour soon. Thanks to the many members who assisted in our search!

Bob

A very happy ending to your quest to find the car.

It’s not often that a car once owned by family around 50 years ago can be tracked down and purchased to bring it back into the family.

Please post pictures and bring the car to a PAS gathering when she is ready.

Thanks Craig. You are only a little off on the time line: I last rode in it in the late ’40s before it went off to my aunt’s family and then a series of collectors.

We are working on several items. Tires for one (check our posts on that topic; apparently we need a wheel puller to get the read wheels off), a generator that does not appear to be charging, and gunk — I hesitate to call it ‘oil’ — the consistency of brownie dough in the diff and transmission. We have had several helpful replies; I hope we don’t wear out our welcome on the forum before we figure out solutions.

It appears that I can post no more than one picture, so here it is getting a bath after the trip with the Ford Model A glowering at it from the garage.

Bob

You will find no shortage of help here and it’s virtually impossible to wear out your welcome.

There is not a finer, more helpful group of car enthusiasts than the members of the PAS.

Getting all of the fluids squared away should always be first order of business when acquiring a vehicle so it’s good to hear you’re getting her in shape before heading out on the road.

Yes, our current website limits pictures to one per post but feel free to create multiple posts for more pictures.

We would all love to see more of your wonderful car.

The history behind the car is pretty significant to the PAMCC.

Robert,

That is a beautiful Pierce. I am interested in hearing the history of the car.

There is going to be a PAS National Meet in Buellton June of 2021. I am sure we

would all like to see you and your Pierce Arrow there. I live about 40 miles north of there in Arroyo Grande.

Ken

Bob,

Beautiful car, so glad you were able to trace her down and get her back.

As Craig Castillo mentions, there is no better group of generous, helpful car enthusiasts than the Pierce-Arrow Society. We all love to hear what others are doing.

Don

Several people have expressed their pleasure at the successful conclusion of our story and/or have generously offered their help as we deal with the issues uncovered.

Thanks to all for your interest and help!

Bob and son RJ Reeves

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.