September 2017 Hemmings

Home Page Forums General September 2017 Hemmings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Going through September’s issue of Hemmings I noted some interesting items. First of all, David Coco’s letter commenting on how estimated values are arrived at for cars being auctioned. I always love your posts here David, and yours is a well thought out letter! Let’s not give them any ideas about raising the asking prices for Pierces, though, until I finally get a car! Hope you’re coming to Gilmore as I’d love to meet you. A rare 1932 V12 LeBaron coupe is being auctioned at Auburn IN, on 9/02, and there is also an ad for a 1913 Model 66A for sale in California for $375,000. Kinda out of my price range. What is in my range however, is a 1937 Model 1703. Looks like a nice car from the picture. Does anyone know the car? Can’t tell if the owner is a member as the contact appears to be a company name. I’d be interested to hear anything about the car before I go to the seller. Thanks.

Ken, posting a link and/or serial number of the car you’re looking at would allow our top notch sleuths to research the vehicle and get you as much information as they can dig up.

Good luck with your quest and yes, David Coco is PAS treasure.

We are very fortunate he’s chosen the Pierce Arrow marque as his marque of choice.

Here’s a link to the online Hemmings ad. In the pictures, the car looks beautiful but the comment “has great potential”” kinda scares me. What do you all think?

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/pierce-arrow/1703/1973465.html#&gid=1&pid=3

Kenneth,

This 1703 would appear to be the same car which sold at Spring 2017 Barrett-Jackson auction in Arizona. I believe the car was previously owned by a PAS member, this could be easily verified with an old roster.

Good luck,

Stu

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1937-PIERCE-ARROW-CLOSED-CAB-LIMOUSINE-201400

Thanks Stu. Except for the drivers door handle sagging a little more in the later pics, its seems to be the same car. I appreciate the link to the Barrett Jackson Auction, it appears that the car was well bought. It also gives me an idea of what I should offer. I tried emailing and calling, no response to the email, no voicemail on the phone. I saw that there were four of these models registered to members, and I’ll try and contact the former owner for any info. Thanks again.

They always look good in pictures!

Dave

Hi Kenneth, just an FYI-at first glance, this car is showing pumper truck manifolds without Stromberg chokes and non original carbs.

Looks like this is probably a re-engined car. That explains why it sold for $38K at the Barrett Jackson auction. The average selling price for a car like this is about $55K, so it looks like the seller picked it up on the cheap and is trying to flip it. My email remains unanswered, and no answer to telephone calls with no voice mail. My interest in this car is rapidly dwindling.

Kenneth, if they do get back, ask for pics of the engine compartment. You could then tell if it’s just top end or the whole thing is Seagrave.

Best of luck looking for a car!

John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.