Series 80 Dash Refinish

Home Page Forums Body Series 80 Dash Refinish

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

James,

On my DeLuxe, the top strip is a one-half-inch piece of bowed mahogany and all of the doors have the same wood finish surrounds.

I believe that your Coach has steel finished in faux woodgrain, correct?

the dash and the top cover are different, as I had someone refinish the top cover but have not gotten around to removing the dash to have it redone.

The top cover is a darker faux woodgrain than the dash or the real mahogany, but oh well, it is not a Pebble Beach car.

Peter

James,

Also note that the dash on my Series 80 has a King-Seeley gasoline gauge (effectively useless in spite of my efforts), a front seat cigar lighter and a second dash light.

The K-S and the cigar lighter were added by my Uncle Joe’s, Uncle Joe, who was the first owner of the car after the PAMCC.

He was a Supervising Foreman at the PAMCC and family lore states that he bought it in 1928 from the President of PAMCC (perhaps a family car?).

I am the third owner of the car.

It has a number of period correct, but not P-A correct pieces, including aftermarket bumpers (Royal Bumper Company of Chicago, Illinois) and a Series 81 intake manifold including the Stromberg O-3 carburetor rather than the Series 80 carb.

It also has a TRICO Visional wiper system (full length across the windshield), cowl lights and both a left and right side set of taillights.

Then, following in the family bling tradition, I added front and rear turn signals created from taillight cans.

It is much more DeLuxe than most DeLuxe sedans.

It is a fancy In-Town Cruiser.

Peter

Dr. Peter,

Yes my Coach has wood grained metal strips around each door window frame. The windshield does not have a bowed strip like yours but may have been lost over the years. The dash piece however is bent at 90 degrees and covers the top piece and then continues down over the dash.

James

James,

That dash piece is the same on the DeLuxe, in terms of the dash piece bending 9-degrees toward the windscreen, but then the mahogany bow fits over to create a finished look.

You are likely correct in saying that your Coach may be missing the top finish piece.

BTW, I like the two-type faux woodgrain on your car.

Peter

Here is a picture of my Series 80 Coach. woodgrain paint with the upper piece trimmed with the same material as the interior. It appears to be original paint and material.

Randy, all the above is good information, but to answer the original question, woodgrain, black and body color are all correct for a closed car dash panel. The upper is also correct in woodgrain, padded, or body color. Hope this answers your original question. Karl

Karl,

Are you meaning to say that our PAS members get off track?

Peter

Ok it does; thanks,

James: referring to your posts on May 22nd and the two photos you posted: on my ’27 the upper part below the windshield is painted black; the dash panel has an area on each side, sort of shield-shaped; wood grained with a gold border like inlaid wood; I can’t tell if the remainder of the dash is painted black or was originally a wood grain which has faded. the window trim is wood grained but it has an obvious “did it myself” look.

I wonder if the wood grain was shiny when new? I like that look but I will tend toward originality if I can learn what that was.

Thanks for the help, Everyone! I enjoy looing an everyones’ cars.

Hello Randy,

I am trying to post the picture of my dash and am having problems. I haven’t been able to post pictures for a week. My wood surround is shiny it has been restored so I am not sure if mine is correct either.

I will take another picture tomorrow and see if that will post.

Ken

Here’s a photo of the instrument panel woodgrain and the padded upper dash panel on my former 1925 Series 80 Deluxe coupe, now owned by member Hugh Harris. This was an impeccable 1983 restoration by Eric Rosenau and Bill Lawton for Phelps & Joan Chamberlain. It placed 3rd in the very competitive Classic Closed class at Pebble Beach in 1984 despite Phelps’ customary insistence on modern hose clamps and spark plug boots, so you know it was a superb restoration.

My 1925 S80 Deluxe 5-p sedan, an owner-refurbish ca. 1962, has a satin-black instrument panel face and upholstery-material padded upper dash panel (NOT PICTURED).

George

Here is a picture of my dash it is the color of the body. It has the

wood trim of the Deluxe in the Photos.

Ken

This is a small point, but the 1927 Series 80 salesman’s manual emphasizes that the panel between the dashboard and the windshield was now finished in “rich mahogany”. The 1926 Series 80 2-door Coach I owned was nearly unaltered inside, and had an upholstery-covered recess between dash and windshield. The car number was 808586.

Roger the picture I posted is from your old car, still original and pretty decent shape.

Jim, I was wondering if your car was formerly Roger’s Coach. Your car came to you from the Denver area if I remember correctly. Roger told me a few years ago that he had sold his car locally, and that it had the 4.88:1 ‘Mountain’ gearing.

Greg Long

The upper part over the dash of my car is shaped like that shown in James Powell’s pics posted May 22nd. It has been painted black, though.

Viewing 16 posts - 21 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.