Series 80 Lube Fittings

Home Page Forums Chassis Series 80 Lube Fittings

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

On the 1927 Series 80, there are lube fittings on each end of the shock/dampener links. One end of one of the front links on my Car has a pin-style coupler; the others have normal Alemites.

Is the pin-type the correct fitting? the parts list I have does not show this detail.

I assume normal chassis grease the correct lube.

I believe that the only Pin-Type grease fitting on a Series 80 exists at the aft end of the torque arm, all others should be standard Alemite fittings.

The Pin-Type fitting is used there because the amount of pressure needed to push grease into that joint is gargantuan and a normal Alemite fitting won’t hold the pressure when you squeeze the grease out of the gun.

I also believe that you need a special screw-type grease gun with a locking attachment for the Pin-Type fitting.

Finally, chassis grease is the correct lube for this application.

Thanks, Peter! I will need to reexamine the aft torque arm joint on my Car.

Randy,

BTW, I replaced my old style grease fittings (straight, no nub, no detent ball) with modern fittings (with nubs and detent ball) so that my grease gun would snap on and stay.

Owning cars like ours makes you understand why they called mechanics Grease Monkeys.

Every time I got near the underside of the car with those old fittings, I got grease on my clothes.

Now, it only happens every other time!

Peter

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.