Series 81 engine reassembly

Home Page Forums Engine Series 81 engine reassembly

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello all,

I recently retook possession of my 1928 series 81 engine. The engine had been sent out to a machine shop be rebuilt many years ago. Too much time passed but I was finally able to reclaim the various parts. Without getting too deep into the details, the machining was done, but the engine was not reassembled. I called around my local machine shops to gauge their interest or willingness to assist, and unfortunately all declined on the grounds of unfamiliarity. Any suggestion of a competent engine builder who can reassemble the engine and help with reinstallation in the car is greatly welcome. Anywhere in a couple hour radius from the Capital District of NY is preferred.

Hi Campbell!  Here is some information on Hart’s Machine in Ohio.  Not as close as you like, but as you have found, most folks aren’t 100 year old engine folks.  Hope this helps!

Hello Campbell,

Years ago, the engine on my 1925 Series 80 destroyed a piston at a PAS Meet.

I won’t go into detail, but suffice it to say that because of a PAS member “adjusting my carburetor” and I had run through between 8 & 10-gallons of fuel in 25-miles before the engine BLEW!

One of the pistons separated at the bottom of the Second piston ring!!

I was towed to the Meet Hotel and then we pushed it onto my trailer.

OH YEAH, Hart’s, were the people  who refurbished the block and planed the cylinder head.

My Pierce-Arrow is garaged in North Eastern Massachusetts, so I made up a shipping crate that was fundamentally a CRIB that held the engine.

I bolted the engine to the Crib that was made from 2″ X 10″ boards, bolted it down, stopped it down and shipped hot to Hart’s and a few weeks later they returned it to my garage.

Greg Long came in to town and assisted me in rebuilding the engine, piece, by piece.

Greg lives in Michigan, but seems t0 travel for engine repairs.

Greg is:  Have Wrench, Will Travel!

You can consult with other Series 80 / 81 Gents and see what they say.

I hope that this helps.

Best,

Peter

piston

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.