Sneak peek at the 29 DC phaeton

Home Page Forums General Sneak peek at the 29 DC phaeton

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted a significant update. The car is in assembly and will be heading off to upholstery once the assembly is complete. I thought everyone would like to see a sneak peek at the car. :)

She is looking great.

Those chrome wires must have been a pretty penny.

Craig,

You are absolutely correct. I thought I would stroke out when I was getting quotes. However, that was the one thing I always wanted and thought would look amazing on the car. I was right, even though it was deadly expensive.

The restoration of the trunk and cases was right up there too. :)

The car looks wonderful, Richard. I notice that Wayne Carini was listed recently as having joined the PAS. Perhaps sometime he can do a follow-up to the show where he pulled your car out of the garage. He sure placed it with the right person to bring it back!

A follow up with Wayne would be a great show and would get the PAS a lot of positive exposure.

HI all,

I just sent Wayne an email with this same picture. I will let you know what he says.

Rick

Wow, car looks great! After all the wondering, your color choice is very nice and will make quite a handsome car!

I do have some advice on the upholstery, since I do trim work as a hobby, and once did it professionally until I got back into the Engineering profession.

Do NOT let your upholstery guy use foam for the seats. For a while, foam would last OK since there was an additive that was added for longevity. Unfortunately, the Government discovered the additive causes cancer, so it was banned. Now, when you buy foam wholesale, it’s “8 year foam” or “10 year foam” and so forth.

This is fine for throw away furniture, but NOT for our classic cars.

If one doubts this, look under your LazyBoy recliner and see all the little pieces of foam, as it slowly disintegrates.

On this Pierce, the springs should be individually wrapped, then use horsehair and cotton.

I’d also advise that, particularly on the driver’s seat, go VERY light with padding. There’s not much room to start with for a “today size” driver. I’m just about ready to pull the backrest springs out of my car so I have room to drive, my legs are just too cramped.

You will need a lot of wire-on made in your leather to finish this car, Enfield Restorations used to do this, it’s now done by:

“AAM automotive Aircraft and Marine specialty trim, purchased the equipment from Enfield Restorations and is up and operating in the Spec Tech incubator complex in Weyerhaeuser WI. Located conveniently between our Bruce and Cameron operations contact our office or call Cory Cook at 715 520 3776. All of your custom wire-on and hidem and specialty trim made with your hides for exact match, fast turnaround and fair prices.”

It’s more expensive than it was with Enfield, but it’s worth it for the correct wire-on.

If your upholstery guy has any questions, feel free to have him call or email me, I’ll be glad to help.

I will let the upholstery guy know. thanks!

Hi,

Several people have commented that they like the black and gold on the car. The actual color, though hard to see in the photo, is a very dark teal green and pearl sand or champagne. Neither is metallic.

I was informed by many that metallic was a capital offense on this car. :)

I like the color, it’s different and I thought it was black too! But now see from reflection on back fender it’s not.

Not to nitpick, but why aren’t undersides of front fenders painted? Is this just a test fit?

What color interior and top are you going with? That’s going to be as, or more, important than the body color….

HI Dave,

There are a few imperfections in the paint that will get fixed after the upholstery. The underside is going to be done as well at that time.

The top will be a dark teal green. (not sure if I should accent it with the body color) I originally was going to match the interior to the top, but now feel that the dark green would be way too heavy looking. I will match the gold tones instead.

Haartz has a green topping in the Stayfast/Haartz cloth line, is that the one you’re using?

I’m not aware that there’s a woven dark green topping available, but you must have something in mind.

Interesting project, thanks for update!

Dave,

I have found a high-end teal green. I do not remember the manufacturer at the moment but do remember that it is from Germany. It’s a pretty close match.

Dave,

Here is my sample. Quite dirty. It does show the teal if you look close.

Probably manufactured by Sonnedecke….interesting color for sure…..thanks

I love it. It matches the fenders and reveal quite well.:)

Is this the same Pierce that some years back was in the television program Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini?

Yes……it is. I passed on the car a long time before it was ever on the show. Kumor had it after the show.

To bad you passed. It was/is solid as a rock from bumper to bumper. I’m glad its mine, but most important that this rolling piece of art has made it’s way back to the road. 😁

The car was sitting in a post-war housing neighborhood. Behind the house, was a single detached garage, where the Pierce had sat since the 1950s. The man that owned it had several cars. He eventually sold them all but the pierce. He drove the car often. His daughter remembered going to the ice cream parlor in the car.

Eventually, the car lost compression in one cylinder and was parked in the single stall garage.

The car sat in the garage since the mid-1950s. It sat for so long that trees grew in from of the garage door. The trees had to be cut away so they could get the car out.

The man had died a few years earlier and never saw the car leave the garage where he parked it.

Some months later, I sat down on the sofa to watch Chasing Classic cars. One of my favorite shows at the time. On came the unearthing of the pierce. They cut away the trees that blocked the garage door. They pushed it out, and my heart skipped a beat. Loved it.

Wayne Carini stated the car was worth some HUGE price. I remember thinking, WEll, too much for me. Several months later it reappeared on chasing classic cars when they featured an “all original” auction by Bonhams.

The car did not meet the reserve and that was the last time I figured I would ever see the car. A year or so later, I saw an ad in Hemings. I thought, mmmm? wonder if that is the same car. I pulled the site up and was surprised to see, there was the car.

It took another 6 months of communication to get the car bought.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.