So how much is it worth?..

Home Page Forums General So how much is it worth?..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

While working on one of the cars at the Pierce Museum today with Greg Long we were approached by several people who asked us “How much is that car worth?

Well, I suppose we have all been asked that question a million times or more so I am going to ask it again to all of you.

How much is your car worth to you?…

Now setting aside the obvious factors of condition, rarity, running, original or restored, etc, etc, etc, what value do you put on your car(s)?..

I mean, is it a car that has personal value because it was your fathers and it was handed down to you and you feel you would never sell it no matter what the price?…

Is it a car that you would never sell because your ex wife hated it and you keep it just to p**s her off?…

Is it a car that you have hunted for for several years but now that you have it, would you sell it for the right amount of cash on hand if the situation arose?…

So the question here is this: Besides the monetary value you would put on your car, how much is it worth to you to keep or sell and why?…

I tend to answer the “what’s it worth”” question by saying “”please appreciate the car for what it is not for what it is worth””.”

Perfect answer, Paul!

Several years ago, I was asked to sell my ’33 836 Club Sedan. I just couldn’t sell it. It’s my only 8 cylinder Pierce and it’s a nice looking car, that is a wonderful tour car. I finally told the guy who had pursued me for several years that I’d only sell it if I got enough to buy an early ’30’s open car. And that ended the ‘conversation’.

For me, I really like the car, and the story of it’s purchase and my drive to bring it home.. the car is part of my family.

I also have two other running Pierce Series 80 cars, the are both very special to me, one, the Derham body Town Car is a one-and-only car, and

will reside in the Gilmore Museum most of the time. The Gilmore Museum is about a two hour drive each way for me, so I can go see the car and perform maintenance relatively easily.

My other Series 80, a ’25 touring car has become my favorite car. With a leather interior, it doesn’t suffer from my grubby work clothes, so if I need something from a store in town, I just hop in the Pierce and go, I won’t do that in the winter or in the rain, but the car gets a lot of ‘errand runs’. I can’t drive the ’33 without changing into clean clothes, to protect the cloth interior.

Real market value often doesn’t decide the true value of the car to it’s owner, often it’s an emotional attachement. And for me, my cars are way too valuable to me to put a price on.

Greg Long

Whenever I sell a Pierce I always ask myself how much would I have to spend to replace a duplicate of it in a relatively short period of time. To buy a good driver that is turnkey is VERY difficult today. The other thing I think about when someone makes me an offer on my car is would that amount of money get me into a better, more desirable, or more enjoyable car. Most of the time the answer is no, thus I don’t turn over my Pierce cars too often. Having owned quite a few early big cars from the 30’s , I can honestly say I always regret it when a good solid car leaves the garage, they are just too dam hard to find. PS A special note to Ernie Follis…… I STILL miss my 33 EDL!

Years ago when I started building old cars it was a hobby and as I dont play golf or Fish,( with my extra time) after working for a living and away from my family alot. I found it something that could be done at home and be with family and raise childern and perhaps? GET your money back if the car was finished. Its been a good hobby and lots of people enjoy looking at the old cars and remembering the past, and it is apart of my family life forever. Its been alot of work, but NOT wasted time. Lots of pictures and lots of FUN for many people I dont even know. How does someone Price a car?…..I find alot of lookers that want to just know what they are worth, others , they want buy and resale the cars for profit. I wont price one of my cars until I am I ready to turn it loose. The Pierce Arrow is a hard car to build , However, even harder to Price for fair value. Best regards Richard.

In the case of my 1931 Pierce Model 43 phaeton, I have a picture of me standing next to the car at a show, drooling, in 1965…I was 14 years old and the car belonged to a gentleman from New Orleans.

I became good friends with him over the years, through shows and tours in Louisiana. In 1985, I was trying to by a 1929 Cadillac roadster from his best friend, Buddy Walton. We were on a tour at Avery Island (home of Tabasco sauce), and I was discussing the roadster with Buddy. “David”, he said, “you don’t want the Cadillac, you want Drew’s Pierce”. Well, sure but it’s not for sale. “Walk over to him now, and ask him, he’ll sell you the car”.

Five minutes later I’d made a deal for the car I’d admired for twenty years. Drew wanted me to own it, as he knew how much I liked Pierce Arrows (I had four at the time he sold me the phaeton).

That’s why I won’t sell it. And, I can tell you that I’ve turned down a very generous offer for the car, and when I told the prospective buyer “no”, the comment was “Wow, you REALLY don’t want to sell it, do you?”

A fair price depends on whether we can find fuel and an open road

to operate them on.A club of supporting addicts is most welcome,too.

Wow, great responses everyone, keep it up!

When I lost my job last year I went into panic mode and told my wife I was selling everything.

I ended up selling my 26 Town Car to Greg Long and, while I do miss the car terribly, I am glad he was the recipient of the sale as I know he will take good care of “Miss Helen”. And, since the car is only 45 minutes away, he has graciously extended the invitation to come visit anytime.

While it was very hard to see the car go, knowing it went to a friend and fellow PAS member, it made the transaction a lot easier.

At that time I felt it was the right thing to do, but since that time my wife’s cooler head prevailed and we are now planning on keeping the ’32 even if we have to end up living in it someday!

For me it was always the historical value. It’s the old saying “If these cars could talk the stories they’d tell” Well, when these cars are all gone (or worse, rodded out!) then there are no stories left to tell.

I always love the looks of the older generation that tell stories of either owning one or knowing someone that owned one way back when.

In fact, one of my old bosses learned how to drive in a pierce almost identical to the one I have.

THAT is value!

I’m delighted to see these responses.

I’ve often asked, “Which car is your favorite?” to which my usual reply is “Which child is your favorite? They are all different, even one Series 80 (unrestored but repainted) vs the other (older body-off restoration), and I don’t prefer one over another. I immerse myself in the period of the car I’m driving at the time, and marvel at the technological progress over the span of a few short years (1925-36 for my Pierces).”

That said, last month Greg Long installed a Mitchell overdrive in my 1925 80 sedan (the unrestored car) factory-equipped with the stump-pulling 4.89 gears. For S80 cars, the factory mandated the ratio (4.45, 4.65, or 4.89 based on sales location rather than body style or customer preference. Pre-overdrive, the sedan’s sweet spot was 36-38 mph, now it’s 48 mph. That’s about as fast as I’ll ever want to go in that car, but it’s a relief that I’m no longer punishing the engine during the occasional run on a 40 mph-minimum interstate highway. The restored S80 coupe has factory 4.45 gears which permit a comfortable-enough 42-45 mph.

I don’t think I could put a value on our Pierce.

The car has been in the family for 49 years and I am merely this generation’s caretaker.

My grandfather purchased the car in ’63 and when he passed it was handed down to my father. My father passed away last year and the car was handed down to me since I have been the one grandchild that had the longest history and interest in the car.

My father purchased a ’26 Rickenbacker about six months before my grandfather acquired the Pierce so I grew up working on and riding around in his Rickenbacker and my grandfather’s Pierce. I’ve always liked the look and uniqueness of the Rickenbacker but there was always something special about the Pierce. I know that Pierce cars are special vehicles but the fact that my grandfather cherished the car makes it all that much more special to me.

Our Pierce is a very original car and I am doing everything in my power to see that it remains as original as possible.

I do get the occasional question about the car’s value but to me the car is a family heirloom and it would be impossible to put a real monetary value on the car. There are far too many family memories tied to the car for me to every sell it since to me it belongs to the family.

My name may be on the title, but to me, it will always be ‘Grandpa’s Pierce.’

The late Dave Lau and I were driving our Pierces north from Monterey some years ago. Dave in his 1916 38-C-4 touring and me in my 1924 33 touring. We stopped for gas before getting into San Francisco to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. A fellow in a nearly new Merdedes drove into the gas station. He looked at Dave’s Pierce and asked Dave how he would trade. Dave looked at the Mercedes and then replied to the man, “How many of those do you have?”” End of conversation.”

I’ve had a ball reading these thoughtful responses and it makes me

ponder a related question. What are the glassy-eyed,optimists that

collect these artifacts, from a more civil era,worth? Will the cars

please step up to the plate and infect a few more admirers,for the

Society’s sake.

Mr. Costa,I can only agree with the addition of a little mist in my eye. These are wonderful responses written from the heart and penned by gentlemen who cherish their Pierce Arrows while having an appreciation for a different way of doing things in a different time in America.

Several of you were so helpful in my purchase of my ’34 836a Club Brougham. This is a perfect time to thank you all for sharing your knowledge and your passion.

As for its worth. What price can you put on a dream?

I think this is an expression of value, even if it is not a Pierce-Arrow.

It takes a few minutes, but is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/bz-nO6WvOYw?rel=0_

Wow, I was really getting choked up watching that.

The first car I remember my father having was a black 1959 Chevy Impala with red leather interior. I know he loved that car but he sold the car to buy a station wagon (remember those?) when our sister was born.

I always thought about finding another 59 Impala for him but he passed away before I could realize that dream. I know he would have loved it.

To me the real love of my “first”” Pierce-Arrow came from tracking down the cars history and finding out the original owners. Then meeting the daughter of one of the original owners in NY at the Centennial meet in 2001. The joy at seeing the car again brought tears to her eyes!!!

You can’t replace memories like those…”

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.