Spark plug wire connector installation

Home Page Forums General Spark plug wire connector installation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello, I bought these connectors a number ago.   I don’t remember  but I am guessing I should  strip the secondary wire back about 1/2 inch. Then run the wire through the hole in the crimped on copper end.  The hex plug connector should screw on to the plug and then insert the wire with the crimped on copper end into it.  Is there any soldering that needs to be done?

Plug connectors

Hello David,

You are on the right track.   It is best to solder the wire where it goes through the hole on the crimped copper wire connector.  Be well.

Happy Motoring,

Rick

Thanks Rick I appreciate your advice!  Happy Motoring to you and Merry Christmas to you.

Dave

I’ll second Rick’s recommendation. Use electrical solder for a good connection that will help minimize intermittent sparks or failures at the plugs. This will help with oxidation issues, while providing a mechanical connection when you remove the plugs for inspection, etc. Make your connections and be sure to ohm/continuity test each lead after pulling them through the loom. I even go a step further with a little dab of dielectric grease at the ends, before pushing the ends into the coils, etc. This may be overkill, but as a marine mechanic, I feel this serves to keep out moisture and inhibit oxidation – all for a good, hot spark.

Thanks Carl I appreciate the advice.

Dave

I know it isn’t totally kosher, but being the old engineer, I tend to over-think most everything. From my days doing industrial design and specifications, I require the contractor label each end of a wire with the same designation. Most switchgear comes from the factory with all their instrumentation and controls with the same gray wire – an nothing labeled.  Following my own demands, I used a wire stick-on number set, using the same number on each end of each wire. I even went as far as labeling the coils and each pocket on the distributor cap.  It does make life easier if you remove any of the wires from the distributor and see the label of where to reconnect it. Tracing and verifying each wire is still good at the next tune-up is soooo much easier this way.  Herb

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.