Speaker grille finish

Home Page Forums Body Speaker grille finish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am curious, the recent posts on ’35 speaker grilles seem to indicate the grille was brass painted black. the black is usually flaking off, and unclear if it was gloss black but presumably was. Paul Johnson’s original ’35 grille seems to be brass with a patina without paint – it looks a lot like tortoise shell now. I have seen two restored ’35 V-12’s with a highly polished chrome grille. Was this a difference between V-12 and 8, or a restoration choice?

Paul Johnson’s original ’35 also shows a brown with gold thread speaker cloth, his upholstery is a taupe, which is going to clash with my future gray-blue upholstery, so I have found a dark blue-gray speaker cloth for mine.

The one I have on e-bay is chromed brass with the chrome rim left unpainted and the inner part painted black, probably gloss.

I would think you would want to take the paint off the high spots of the crest so the chrome beneath it would stand out.

Are the speaker grills for 1936-37-38 the same or different from the 1935 speaker grill?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.