Special Compound

Home Page Forums Chassis Special Compound

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Jim, those zerk fitting mods can be dangerous–a lever action grease gun exerts about 3000 psi pressure which may blow any mechanical seals inside, as on a Cadillac flathead V8, not a S80/81 unless seals have been added. Cads and other cars with factory zerks on water pumps also came with a twist-knob-operated grease gun specifically for that purpose.

Ken, try to disassemble –GENTLY–that grease cup assembly. Suggest soaking it in lacquer thinner overnight. Grease cup may have been super-glued together–hope not. I wonder whether your pump–and the grease cup–have been modified in the past.

George,

I will go ahead and soak it. We have tried to loosen it but it did not budge. I don’t know if it has been modified. Peter’s looks different than mine.

Ken

George,

I just went back out to the car and looked at the cup where the lines were cut around it and thought maybe it was tacked together. I was able to pull on it and separated it. I assume now that all of the Grease Fittings are spring loaded. I learned something new.

Thank you,

Ken

Ken,

My grease cup is not spring loaded, it screws down.

I also may have a few others of different types kicking around.

I will check and advise you.

Peter

A correct series 80 grease cup is about 7/8″ diameter, and has a blade or wing on the top to help turn the cup. It has a spring loaded ratchet ring that engages the matching notches in on the rim of the cup, where it is threaded onto the housing.

Greg Long

Greg,

Would it look like the one I posted in the pictures?

That seems to b the way mine works.

Thank you,

Ken

Gents,

Just FYI, there are a TON of them of various sorts listed on eBay.

Peter

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.