Startix: Starter Motor Run-On 1935

Home Page Forums Engine Startix: Starter Motor Run-On 1935

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

With a Startix modified to push button starting, what would cause the starter motor to keep running after an otherwise successful start? No Bendix grinding or other noise involving ring gear clash.
    Bump the Startix box and the starter usually stops. Weak or broken return spring? Sticky points? Hanging up or dragging small parts inside the box?
    I’m new to the Startix and have access to the usual information but am reluctant to dive in without personal advice.

Randy,

I’d clean the points 1st. I believe the Startix manual says that prolonged spinning indicates that the starter adjustment screw is in too far. The total adjustment range is quite small…half a turn in total either way. Don’t adjust while running unless using a non-magnetic material screwdriver. I’ll try to find my Startix manual and bring it to Hershey.

I recall having that problem many years ago and had to shim the upper point set that is not normally adjustable.

The Startix Guru is Jim McCarthy, an ACD guy in Fenton, MI. His phone info didn’t transfer when I got a new phone a couple of months ago. He rebuilt a unit for me about 3 years ago.

Bill Morris will tell you that Startix is an evil device. I was also a doubter 28 years ago when I first experienced one, but I grew to love and appreciate them as a handy and useful tool to have available.

Dave

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.