Steering column tube length

Home Page Forums Chassis Steering column tube length

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have the Ross box for my ’33 836 apart. The column was disintegrated with only about 6″ left at the top and bottom. I was able to find a stainless tube of the correct diameter, so all I have to do is cut to length, add lock hole and polish.

What I don’t know is how long is the tube? Can anyone help?

Hi William,

My 836 7-pass sedan has the floorboards out right now, so I can measure the column. I can’t tell you the overall length (because part is inserted in the box, and part is inserted in the steering wheel), but the distance that is exposed between the box collar and the base of the steering wheel hub is 40 and 3/16″. The ’33 parts book says all columns are the same length except the Enclosed Drive Limo, whose steering wheel is also different. The parts book is pretty accurate on what models used different parts, so I would believe the 7-pass is like all other models, and not like the Limo (although I don’t know what the difference is. I would guess that they reduced the space in the chauffeur’s compartment to add the division window).

(I have a ’34 column and box, and a ’34 in a car that I could measure, but they are different part #’s, so don’t know if that would be apples to apples.)

And don’t forget the 3/16″ diameter hole in the tube for the box lubricant fill overflow, 7/8″ up from the box collar.

Hope this helps,

Bob

I measured a column length of 40 1/2″ of the exposed tube with an additional amount (1″” ??) that could be inserted in the steering box and then clamped in place. The OD of the tube was 1 3/4″”. On the steering column I measured the top of the tube is exposed without the overlap under the steering wheel.”

Bob and David,

Great information. It is good to see you guys are within 1/16 of each other. I know your time is valuable and I appreciate your generosity. Bob, I didn’t know about the hole as mine is rusted away. Does it get some kind of plug?

Thanks again

Bill

Bill,

The hole is a “vent” as described in the Ross bulletin, with no plug.

It is oriented at 9 0’clock, pointing toward the left fender.

Instructions are to fill the box through the big pipe plug about 1/2 way down the box (not the adjusting plug above it), with steering gear lubricant, until it runs out the vent.

Bob

Bob and David,

I thought you deserved to see the finished product. It is unpolished stainless steel at the moment.

Your measurements and details were right on.

Thanks again.

Bill

I had to splice the top of another column on to mine as the threads were destroyed. I put a collar on the shaft as a stop and used a Hyatt type roller bearing (pic). which makes for a very smooth and firm upper part of the column. Column is 1 3/4 OD x .065(16ga)wall, Type 304 stainless tube. The 300 series have more chrome/nickel and polish up very nicely. They are also non magnetic, for what that is worth.

Thanks again for the help.

Bill, that is some real nice work on the steering column.

Best-John

Bill,

So you have that bearing fit around the steering shaft and inside the steering column tube, eh?

What a good way to eliminate wheel jiggle.

Peter

Peter,

That is correct. I noticed that tomorrow will be 3 years since the initial post and at this rate it might be awhile before I can comment on the jiggle.

Bill

I finally found the “before”” picture”

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.