Steering question

Home Page Forums General Steering question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

My 32 model 53 V-12 has recently acquired a steering problem; It will only make a quarter of a turn to the left and stops. It’s as if something is blocking the shaft from completing the turn, you can actually hear it clunk when it reaches it’s limit. Needless to say I cannot drive the car like this and, while I know I have to take the cover off the steering box, I was wondering if anyone has already done this and what to expect when it comes off.

Also, is the Steering box lubed in oil or grease when it all goes back together?

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thank you all in advance.

Curtiss

I wouldn’t try to fix it in place. I would pull the entire box out and put it on the bench. The Ross boxes are very good and almost never have a problem. For it to bind up solid it probably lost some roller bearings. Most of the bearings are special Ross only and are not available. It may be easier and cheaper to find a good replacement box. While simple to work on they can be quite a challenge to adjust correctly. John Cislak had one apart on his bench about two years ago, he would be a good person to ask for help. Good luck, Ed

Curtiss,

Have you already tried disconnecting the steering arm from the rest of the linkage to isolate the steering box? That way you can determine if the problem is only in the box.

Bill

Bill,

I have not done anything yet, I was hoping to hear some feedback first before I attempted to work on it.

Thank you for the information Ed, I hope it is not that bad.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.