Steering questions

Home Page Forums General Steering questions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

When we did the restoration of our 1926 series 80 Judkins coup a few years ago some of the big problems got temporary fixes. Since we finally have a warm shop (to work in the winter) we are revisiting them. Biggest issue is the steering. Sometimes violent shaking at 40 mph. I saw the posts on the steering stabilizer and thought that may be an option. In looking at the car we probably have several issues going on.

1)The pinnion or steering arm is very loose on the steering gear.1/2 in of play,(correct me if my terms are wrong). In looking at the PA mannual ours must be the older arm as it is a closed end and does not have the bolt to tighten as the mannual shows.Steering gear splines are good arm doesn’t look that bad. Is there a replacement available or a fix?

2)passenger king pin is tight, drivers side has some play, How much is acceptable? Can move the tire 1/16-1/8 inch at the top with force.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Trying to clear this up before the annual meet.

Thanks

http://

I need to correct myself- I read the parts manual wrong, the steering arm is supposed to be closed end, the clamp bolt is on the adjusting arm. So I guess parts are correct just worn out.

Anyone have suggestions on replacing or repair? Seems like this would be a common problem.

Thanks,

Mike B.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.