Steering wheel hub

Home Page Forums Body Steering wheel hub

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

On the steering wheel mounting hub of my ’30 Mod B, about 1″ up from the small diameter opposite end where the wheel mounts there is a threaded hole through the side. Does anybody know what that hole is for? Jim”

Jim,

Do you have a photograph?

Bill

Bill,

I’ll get one in the morning. In the extra parts that came with the car was the cast brass replacement, and both the OE and the brass one have the threaded hole. Jim

Bill,

My mistake the hole isn’t threaded it just had a burr in it. The hole is .128″ a #30 drill. Jim”

Jim,

Thanks for the photo. Is there a corresponding hole in the column?

Bill

Bill,

No the column is solid. The hole is just below the center hub with the keyslot in it. It seems there must be a purpose because the repro and OE are in the same spot, unless the repro just copied and didn’t ask questions.

When the hub is tightened down I don’t think the bottom of the hub contacts the top of the column, maybe the hole is to check the clearence.

Jim

Jim,

I was thinking it was for alignment of the drop arm or something?

Mystifying.

Bill

An oiling hole to lube the top steering column bushing?? Just a guess. The Bushing is part #729318. I’ll bet few of us ever oil THAT bushing as it is not defined on the lubrication charts..

Happy lubeing—-Jak.

Jak wins the prize! It is an oiling hole. Turn the steering wheel such that the hole is facing up, and put a drop or two of light oil into the hole to lubricate the upper pushing. I’m pretty sure it shows in the lubrication chart in the owner’s manual.. I’ll have to look.

Greg Long

Jak and Greg,

If it’s an oiling hole I guess I don’t need it, right or wrong I made a new upper bushing from Teflon stock I have. Thanks for the answer to the puzzle. Jim

AH AH! —-the magic Teflon!

Jak.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.