Stromberg Automatic Chokes

Home Page Forums Engine Stromberg Automatic Chokes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

PASB 2009-3 cites the 13th Edition of Motor’s HANDBOOK (1936) as the source of info on the model 10 Stromberg choke used on Pierce-Arrows.

I would like a copy of that article. Does anyone have that specific issue of the handbook?

I would appreciate either an email scan, or a snail-mail hard copy.

I have the 11th edition Motors that covers 1935 through 1947 and has about 1/2 page on adjustments and cutaway of the separate choke for EE-1 and EE-3.

I could scan and send if helpful.

Jim

My 11th edition is the 1948 “Motors Auto Repair Manual” from 1948 – not difficult to get.

Does someone know if there is a previous series “Motors handbook” that would explain the higher edition number with a 1936 date? I haven’t seen one, but being more contemporary to the years it seems likely to have more information than the 1948.

Jim

Thanks to a lead from J. Chase, I was able to obtain a copy of the 13th edition of Motor’s Handbook, Specifications,Interchangeable Parts, Service Instructions. As I suspected, PASB 2009-3 provides incorrect information for adjusting the Stromberg automatic chokes on PA’s.The correct info is available in PASB 88-5. I will provide a revised article to Arnold Romberg for a future Bulletin article.

Thanks Bob! I’ve used the Motor’s instructions with no success over many years. I’ve gone to opening the hood and manually setting at full choke when cold starting. Many other 1936/37 owners have related unresolved choke problems in the past.

Dave Stevens

I’ve heard that the Stromberg chokes were so bad, that they didn’t

work well when they were new. They’re so inscrutable that someone

should write a country song about them!

I have to open the hood and manually choke my V12 almost every time I start it. Is there a way to set up a manual adjustment that still looks good from the drivers seat . Thanks Doug

Doug,

I know nothing about how the choke on your Stromberg carb works, however I do know how the Stromberg carburetor choke on my Series 80 works.

Based upon my outdated Stromberg technological understanding relative to your 1933 Stromberg, I offer the following.

Search eBay for a pull CHOKE assembly (see attached link), mount it under your dash via a piece of fabricated sheet metal and run the stiff steel wire through the firewall (through a rubber grommet) to the choke.

If you do that, you can adjust the choke from the driver’s seat.

I trust that this is not too dumb of a suggestion.

Peter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Harley-Davidson-Flexible-Steel-Choke-Cable-Assembly-W-C-Clip-/302156432598?hash=item4659ed44d6:g:vlEAAOSw2xRYQ0-j&vxp=mtr

Thanks Peter. I will take a look at this idea. I would like to make it look as unnoticeable as possible. Doug

Thanks for the tech sheet . I will look and see if it is the same as the one I have. Doug

I find that in normal driving weather, my 1936 does not need to be choked to start. After messing with that choke adjustment for forty years, I disconnected the rod from the flapper, and using thin wire, wired the flapper open. I then kept the rod (again with wire) in approximately the right position. Problem solved. Not particularly visible, and I don’t care anyway.

Don’t give up on the automatic chokes. After I sorted out the incorrect data noted above, I was able to adjust the chokes for my 1703 and they work properly. Unsure of how they would perform, I built a test stand using a spare carb, a vacuum pump to check the piston operation and a heat gun to warm up the thermostat. They worked consistently on the stand and then on the car. I will share what I learned in the PASB article that I mentioned above.

PS – The data Bill Lyons cites above is essentially the same as that provided in PASB 88-5; both are correct.

Bob, I’m sure your test bench procedures and choke adjustments will be a very helpful read-thanks ahead of time.

John

Bob, is there any chance you have that test bench still set up? A video with commentary of the proper action of the automatic choke would be VERY educational to all of us. Understanding what it should do, and when would be instrumental for those who are being frustrated by their Bromberg Model 10 chokes.

Thanks,

Greg Long

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.