There’s a 1931 Model 43 phaeton for sale on AACA forum

Home Page Forums General There’s a 1931 Model 43 phaeton for sale on AACA forum

• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by .
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Not mine, but there’s a 1931 Model 43 phaeton for sale on the AACA forums, ex-Tom Lester car. It’s in beautiful condition, and while I’m not at liberty to post asking price, it’s very, very reasonable.

If you’re looking for a ready to go ’31 open car, here’s your chance. Only thing I’d change is the head on the engine, it appears to have a Studebaker head….

http://https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Cq0mTtgnqFBfe0VUDaGOESIiQ941yRLy

Next to another one already there!?!

His and Hers! :-)

Beautiful car.

In addition to the wrong head does it also have the wrong water jacket?

I noticed that long tube coming off the water pump wrapping around to go down into in the water neck.

Yes, something different for sure about water distribution. Engine was done by Tom Lester, wonder if those were modifications that somehow helped performance?

Not sure how that would increase water flow.

It would make it harder for the water pump to push water as high as the head instead of just straight into the water jacket.

But it would change the location where the water is pumped into the block.

This would make sense if the rear cylinders run hotter than the front ones.

That appears to be Jim Ladd’s car from Pa. years ago. If Tom Lester did the engine, one could be assured that it is mechanically perfect

Tony, I saw Ladd’s car discussed on Facebook. Did he have more than one Pierce? The one on FB was a 1929 dual cowl, this is a 1931 dual windshield…..

I agree on the Tom Lester work. There are two cars out there with his engines that I restored, one a ’34 sedan and the other a ’35 coupe, and the engines were smooth, strong, and quiet……

I commented on the 1929 Phaeton on Facebook as I know the car.When the Al Rodway collection was sold off,the car went to I believe Tiny Gould then to Jim Ladd.The car was in Automobile Quarterly about 1968.The Al Rodway Collection was a very large collection of open cars of the 1927 to 1932 era.

You are correct. Jim Ladd’s car was a ’29. I knew Al Rodway. He was a friend of Al Ferrara’s and Tiny Gould. I believe that all the cars in his museum were sidecurtain cars. In addition, and there may have been exceptions: all of his cars had narrow pleated leather upholstery (maintains its structural integrity better), and fender mounted spotlights.

Is that water jacket cover just on upside down? I agree that it’s a Stude head. It’s a very attractive car.

When I took custody of our ’29 the water jacket was upside down because it was actually for a later 8 cylinder so right side up it wouldn’t line up with the water pump outlet.

Found a correct replacement and it’s been right ever since.

The 1931 Pierce in this thread belongs to me.My name is Kirk Stevenson. I have to publiclly thank David Coco. he has been very helpful with information. In regards to the upside down water jacket. I think it was either done to cool the hotter rear cylinders or to improve the serviceability of the waterpump. with it routed the way it is it is a breeze to work on the W/P and Genny. I have not been on this forum for quite awhile. so i appologize for not posting it on here first.

Kirk Stevenson

Thanks Kirk.

I have a real weak spot for 1931 Model 43 phaetons, as I met mine in 1966 and bought it in 1984.

I follow them when they come up for sale, or they are listed in the PAS roster. I wasn’t familiar with your car, but it’s a nice one. I like the Model 43 because it’s sportier, so to speak, than the bigger models.

If I were a younger man still working I’d be trying to buy it from you. However, being retired, I still haven’t figured out the term “fixed income”. Mine’s broken, I wish someone WOULD fix it…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.