Tie Rod ends

Home Page Forums Chassis Tie Rod ends

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Can anyone tell me the part number(s) for 1930 A, B or C tie rod ends. I wanted to see if they were different than 33’s.

Thanks in advance

Bill

The part numbers for tie rod ends for the 1930 cars are:

Left: 744236

Right: 744235

Paul,

Thank you. Those are the same as a 1933 1243 and 1247 with chassis numbers before 310004-3525011-3550013. The 836 and 1236 are 723817 (r) and 723818 (l) for cars before 1070472-1550086-2075134-2575053. Later cars look to have replaceable components like bearings, sockets, springs and studs while the early cars show no serviceable parts, only assemblies.

Does that sound right to any one?

Hi Bill,

Both Joe Malone and I have looked at tie rod ends for the ’33’s. and it’s a bit confusing.

Joe’s original 836 has an odd Pierce experiment for tie rod ends. They are built like a modern shock absorber rubber-bushed loop end. There is a straight split-sleeve moulded into a tube that has s threaded sleeve for attaching it to the end of the tie-rod. It is welded on at 90* to the rubber-cushioned sleeve. The rubber-cushioned sleeve fits over a special bolt with spring-loaded washers that has a tapered shaft with a threaded and drilled end for casteated [sp?] nut to retain it in the end of the steering arm.

The advertising I’ve seen touted the new ‘shock-absorbing’ ends. But I’m sure they allowed a lot of shimmy and wheel-fight issues and were quickly replaced with ‘norma’ steel-cup and ball-stud ends.

My 836 has steel ball and cup, ends with adjustable cups for wear on the balls and cups, but these appear to have come from either a ’32 car, or from a 1242 or 1247, The entire tie-rod and ends is different than shown on the 836 lube-charts and images in manuals.

There are NOS ends available that replace the original style ends, I have a set out in the shop, I’ll try to get the part numbers for you. They are available from parts-stores, The set I have came from Car-Quest.

Greg Long

Here is an image of the rubber bushing with the split metal internal bushing. In my first post you can see the tie rod end as it is installed on the car. There is a spring and a washer that are intended to keep the bushings pushed down on the shaft of the stud.

This arrangement certainly did not provide solid control of the wheel, I’m sure they were a big problem for Pierce dealers to eliminate wheel shimmy, especially with the big balloon tires these cars had.

As seen on the first photo I posted, these tie rod ends on Joe Malones very original 836 have male threads. But on my 836, which is the same body style as Joe’s, I have female threaded tie rod ends. As best as I can determine, the tie rod and ends I have on my 836 are from either a ’32 car, or from a ’33 1242 or 1247 chassis.

Greg

The modern part number for the male-threaded tie rod end is ES-194. See the image for the MOOG part info.

I believe the modern part number for the female-threaded tie rod end is ES-174. I’m still looking for confirmation on that number.

Greg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.