timing chain help wanted.

Home Page Forums Engine timing chain help wanted.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

trying to fit timing chain to my 8 cylinder motor engine number 1785 the chain number is morse 766

it is to short,the automatic tensioner all way up,it has 102 links three eight pitch.

it came with a heap of other parts I was assured it came off a 29 pa all sprockets are type 49 the

chain that came off is type 59 .

hoping some one can solve this problem

Charlie muscat down under in oz…

Hi Charlie, I’ll go look at the chain on an engine here, and count the links, I do not recall the correct length for the chain.

Here is an image of the chain on a ’29 that had the camshaft seize. You can see the chain is not riding in the crankshaft sprocket correctly.

Is your chain routed like shown in the image ??

For 1929 only, the chain is routed over the crankshaft gear, not under it.

This results in the camshaft and generator running in the reverse rotation to the crankshaft.

Greg Long

hi greg thank you for your reply.

the chain is routed as showen in picture and as in

pasb-2009-2…

Greg,

Can you take a wider shot of that picture to show the entire interior of the timing cover?

Do you have a source for new chains or gears other than Egge’s? I was able to find a place in New York City that does the original silent chains, but they don’t seem to want to play with guys who restore their own stuff, even with an ASE Master certification…

Bob

I’m Sorry, that photo is from last year, the car is back together now. However, here is a page from the illustrated parts manual showing the chain routing.

Greg Long

Bob,

I took my old gears and chain to an indstrial bearing house and they looked in their catalogs and found the chain and sprockets. When they called the company, the sprockets came either with just a center hole or I could have sent my old sprockets to the company and they would have machined them to match. If I can find a source here in Tucson any big town should be able to get them. Jim

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.