title info

Home Page Forums General title info

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Message deleted by original poster

Eric,

Sorry for your trials. Where did the car come from? Do you have a title? Some states, like Georgia, don’t have titles for older cars, just bills of sale.

Bill

I guess I should read more carefully. Does the title number match the engine number?

Here is a link to a website that details how to get a title in Ohio. It seems the State has grouped antique cars and custom built cars together in the requirements for titling, although the license plate for each is different. It appears to be a slightly tedious process, but for an inspector to tell you it must be custom built since he’s never heard of it is silly, you need to ask for another inspector or his supervisor.

http://https://www.dmv.com/oh/ohio/custom-vehicle-registration

One thing you do not want is a build title from the state. Ohio is one the states that is a total PITA on vehicles. Since you have the title, try going back to a different branch, you might get a car person that understands. Also go back with printouts showing how the chassis and engine have different numbers.

If all else fails have a friend title it in a different state and gift the car to you. Many states are easy on antique autos. Commifornia is the worst, NY is surprisingly easy. I’ve done several in NY with no paperwork. They have no records going back over 20 years. All you need is VIN tracing, sign an affidative and pay the fees.

Eric,

Jim is 100% correct about Ohio DMV offices being difficult, but there is also a simpler way to accomplish your goal. Ohio does require an out-of-state inspection form to be completed for cars brought here from elsewhere. And this form is only a verification of the VIN# on the car against the title/registration; any licensed car dealer, new or used, can do this for you. I’d avoid the State Highway Patrol altogether, instead go find some local used car dealer, perhaps with an interest in older cars, for this VIN verification and first explain the engine # on the title difference vs. newer cars, should easily be a done-deal. Then take this slip of paper & your checkbook to the title office and get in the quarter-mile long line stretching a out the door.

Welcome to PAS, Stu Blair, Cincinnati

Jim,

I don’t know where you got your information. CALIFORNIA is the easiest imaginable. I have registered many cars that had not been registered in 40-50 years with nothing more than an inspection affidavit and a check.

Steve, it all depends on what you are trying to do in Calif.

It took me months just to register YOM plates to my Rickenbacker.

And even after all that hassle I am still charged a ‘special plate’ fee every year when I renew the registration.

Steve,

Consider your self very lucky if you have no trouble with your California DMV office. Our local office does everything they can to make it difficult. I am still chasing a refund of a $500 use tax overcharge. I handed the clerk the check, she gave me the paperwork, I told her it was calculated incorrectly, she said too late, too bad, contact Sacramento. No response from them so far. I have may other Cal. DMV horror stories. Anyway, I am off thread…

Eric,

In California, there is a form called a “Statement of Facts”” where you can explain the situation and why your title is OK. After a VIN verification by DMV or Law Enforcement they will accept it. You might check to see if your state has something similar. -Dave”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.