Tool Roll on eBay

Home Page Forums General Tool Roll on eBay

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Here is a Tool Roll on eBay. It looks like it was just put together.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pierce-Arrow-Tool-Roll-Kit-Hammer-Wrench-/302166631256

I am looking for a Series 80 Brake Adjusting Tool. If anyone has one that

they would sell to me please let me know.

Thank you,

Ken

Hi Ken and Twila. This is my Pierce Series 81 5 passenger sedan. Finally figured out how to send a photo.

David,

We did see the Picture and Twila and I both like it. We also enjoy the Facebook share.

Ken

Thursday, 15-Dec-2016 at 08:46 AM

Hi Ken, that tool kit is, as you said, assembled from various sources.. The tool roll is the type used with the Series 80/81 cars.

The thin ‘water pump’ wrench is for ’29 and later cars, as the S80/81 water pumps did not have a hex packing nut.

But this water pump wrench is stamped with the >Pierce> logo, which is nice to have for a later car’s kit.

A complete kit, with the correct size and logo-stamped tools would run closer to $2000, if you add up the usual retail prices of >Pierce> marked tools.

The usual prices for some >Pierce> marked tools:

Screwdrivers, medium and large: $75-$125. A rare rubber handled one sold this year for more than $200.

Pliers, depending on condition and maker: $100-$150

Hammer, depending on condition and maker: $75-$125

Spark plug Socket: $75-$100. The separate handle can be unmarked, stamped Fairmont, or have the >Pierce>

Various sizes of double open end wrenches, Fairmont: $25-$45 each. These often have ‘spread’ jaws/openings.

The ‘sideways’ 90* 7/8″ wrench for the valve lifter lock nut: $50-$75, they have various different >Pierce> logos

Single open-end 11/16″, for valve adjusting: $25-$75,

Socket wrench or ‘L-wrench’ socket end, 5/8″, for original cylinder head nuts, most cylinder head nuts are replaced with 11/16″ nuts, some with 3/4″ nuts [usually S81, with aluminum cylinder head] The 5/8″ is usually stamped with the >Pierce> logo. I’m sure the larger size socket w/handle wrenches might have been stamped, but I’ve never lucked upon one. $25-$85 each

Adjustable wrenches, The smaller 5″ one was likely sold with the Pierce Bicycles, it is much more common than the larger 7″ sized ones. Small: $50-$85, Large: $60-$90.

The much larger adjustable ‘Monkey Wrench’ was probably for Pierce Trucks, or maybe later cars, $50-%100

Stamped steel hubcap wrench, with 3 hex openings for the Hub Caps, rear axle nut, front wheel bearing nut, and also has a square hole for the wheel puller’s threaded shaft. : $50-$100

The correct Alemite grease gun, is not marked, the body is cast pot metal. They were used to inject Pierce’s Special Compound, aka: Liquid Grease,, which is close to 600w/1200W oil today.. If not broken, and the pot metal threaded filler cap is not stuck or broken : $75-$100. If stuck/broken: $30-$50. These do not work well on modern zerk fittings and do not work wit ,

Please note: The guy to contact and who has a MUCH more intimate and thorough knowledge on all wrenches and jacks for early cars is Karl Krouch, from Mechanicsburg Pa. He’s listed in the roster. He has a huge tent every hear at Hershey with normally hundreds one various >Pierce> marked tools. As well as 1000’s of other logo-marked tools for virtually every car prior to 1950. He is THE tool-guy.

I’m sure some of my prices are too ‘general’, some obviously can be ‘beat’ if you find a tool at a swap meet that is not recognized as ‘Pierce’. Some tools will be found that are quite pricey. Only a very few, very rare examples like that rubber-handled screwdriver are rare enough to be ‘pricey’..

Greg Long

Somehow I ended up with a pile of T-handle wrenches, all marked Pierce….anyone know what this particular tool was used for?

By the way, Greg, I think your valuations are valid….I think the screwdrivers seem to be the slightly more difficult thing to find….the other interesting thing, I think, I have a very small open end wrench, and a very big open end wrench, in my pile of tools…I’m thinking maybe bicycle on the one and truck on the other….Pierce jacks are fairly common, I do have one very large Pierce jack that had to be a truck accessory, it’s big and heavy…. thanks David C.

Greg,

Thank you for the valuations. I have put your blog in my Pierce Arrow file.

I really would like to have a Front Brake Adjusting tool for my Series 80 if anyone has and extra one they would sell me.

Ken

Hi Ken, sorry, the ‘Project: Front Brake Adjusting Wrench’ go sidelined by Christmas, Winter weather, etc. I wanted to have some made up, and sell them through the Museum..

Do you need this to do an actual brake adjustment? or to fill a slot in your tool bag ??

Greg

David, I think those ‘Tee’Wrenches were for turning on and off a fuel valve on some early cars,, I have found that on SOME Series 80 cars, that the 5/16″ square socket will fit an original pipe-threaded plug in the top of the Stewart-Warner vacuum fuel tanks.. This is the center plug that is removed to prime the fuel tank, when it has run dry during a long storage period.

There seems to be a LOT of these ‘Tee’ Wrenches, I think I have at least 4 of them.. and they are marked >Pierce>.

Greg Long

Greg,

I actually do need the tool to adjust the brakes. It doesn’t have to happen right

away as I am not driving the car.

Thank you,

Ken

That would make sense, for the square fitting on the plug on a vacuum tank, thanks, hadn’t thought of that….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.