Top material seams

Home Page Forums Body Top material seams

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Does anybody have a picture that shows the seams in the rear of the top for a 1930 Mod B Club Sedan? The newer coverings don’t seem to have as much conformability as the old stuff and a horizontal seam may be needed. I hope not, but it would look more like a convertible with the Landau trim pieces. Jim L

Jim — I have a 1929 club sedan that has had the leather top replaced, in 1974. I supply two photos.

second photo

arnold,

Thanks for the pictures, I think that’s what he needs to know. Jim L

Ugly seam. Cut a large piece of leather, and soak it in tepid water all day. Place a layer of thin plastic over the wood corner to keep the wood dry, then place the leather over the corner and slowly stretch it into shape. Tack the edges, and leave it in place until dry. No seam needed! A perfect corner.

Good luck!

Miles

Miles,

I don’t think leather would hold up long in the rain and sun. JimL

For what it is worth; Leather was an original material used by Pierce-Arrow and others for topping.

Also, they did not have seams such as the one shown. That is needed for vinyl.

Miles,

I’m not doubting you, do you know what years P-A used leather for the top? Didn’t it look like an old boot after several years? JimL

Can’t give you a date range, but for sure 1928 was one of them. Looked surprisingly good after 70 years, when it was restored. And with today’s coddled exposure and usage, you would be fine.

Miles

I will also chime in and say that additional seam is not correct. A good trimmer can make the top fit without that seam, it all has to do with knowing how to fit and stretch material.

The cross seam shown is a trimmer who didn’t know what he was doing and finallyt said heck with it.

I apologize to owner, but it’s not correct.

David,

I saw the top of my car today and he did it without the cross seam. It looks great, I was there when he did a corner and it takes a lot of muscle, steam and skill to do it. I’ll post a picture when I get it back. JimL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.