Trailer length

Home Page Forums General Trailer length

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Message deleted by original poster

24 is a minimum. Remeasure your car, it should be 18 or 19 feet bumper to bumper. Don’t buy a trailer with 15 inch wheels, they aren’t heavy enough. You can NEVER buy a trailer that’s built too well.

Did you mean don’t buy a trailer with 5 lug wheels? Most of us peons have

trailers with 15″ wheels with 6 lugs that are rated to carry 10’000 lbs.

Depending on the weight of the trailer(10,000 minus the weight of the

trailer equals the maximum weight of the car you’re supposed to haul).It

seems most trailers with the 15″ 6 lug wheels are between 3,500 lbs. and

4,400 lbs. You guys with V 12’s are on the ragged edge of safety with this

set up. What do you go to with heavier cars than 6,000?

Any trailer with 15 inch wheels is an issue. Even the eight lug 16 tires are having huge problems. The low end cheap trailers being manufactured today are absolute junk, with frame issues as well as a bunch of other problems…….I could go on for pages.

Ed – this is a very interesting response – I am looking at various manufacturers of trailers and I definitely don’t want to end up with junk that’s going to fall apart. USA Cargo seems to have what I want but they’re pretty affordable. Perhaps that’s a red flag. I would love to learn more from you ! I’m going to send an email.

Ed Minnie: Who is the manufacturer in Hazleton, Pa. whose trailers were always more money than anyone else? Tiny Gould and Donnie used these, I was going to order one many years ago, but never got into trailer mode. They were the ultimate trailers as I recall

Ed Minnie: Who is the manufacturer in Hazleton, Pa. whose trailers were always more money than anyone else? Tiny Gould and Donnie used these, I was going to order one many years ago, but never got into trailer mode. They were the ultimate trailers as I recall

I am also in the market for a trailer. I have heard that Feather Lite are the ones to buy. Aluminum, high capacity, light, and very expensive.

Ken,

The Feather-Lite is an all aluminum frame, and Ed Minnie will argue against it because if you torque your Feather-Lite frame, you cannot straighten it as you can with a steel framed trailer.

in my area, Feather-Lite trailers are for Horse-People who tow their horses to Equestrian competitions with their Range Rover HSE.

There are a TON of good car hauler trailer makers out there.

To respond to Tony’s post, there are about six in the Hazleton, PA area, if that is at all significant in your case.

I have a United Trailer, UTX model with all kinds of bells and whistles.

It is an Aluminum body on a steel frame.

If you wish to discuss the long list of what you need on a trailer, be in touch.

Peter

I am happy to field questions for anyone on trailers and trucks, not everyone needs a 21K rated trailer……..but 16 inch 8 lug wheels with the 12 inch drums and 7K magnets are a must. If you order a trailer new, its not very expensive to upgrade it from the factory. Height, length, wheel boxes, too cabinets, reinforced door for a Pierce are all considerations……….hauling a V-12….you need to pay attention to lots of other things.

Ed thank you so much – all good advice! How long is your trailer and what do you tow it with? Looks like you went with 3 axels – how do you like that ?

Don;t forget that if a trailer is rated at more than 9,999 lbs. gross, you will need a Class A commercial or non-commercial license to operate it on the road–at least in Calif where Darren and I are, The Class A requires a special physical exam annually. Class A non-commercials don’t need an electronic log book, thank God.

Bought new, trailers can bear a

Oops, my 2nd paragraph didn’t post.

Bought new, trailers can bear a downrated GVWR rating sticker to

Still didn’t post! A long trailer like Ed;s or a gooseneck will get you unwanted law enforcement attention because they exceed 10,000 lbs. Better to get, for example, 2 axles at 6,000 lns each downrated to

I give up for tonight! Darren, I;ll send an email tomorrow.

Thank you Ed and George! I’m trying to get these companies to give me 2x6000lb axels so I have 12000 lb – 3500 for the trailer = 8500 lbs – 5000 for my pierce = 3500 extra. this puts me right AT 70% and I’m hoping that I can get them to De-Rate it. I really don’t have time for the Class A license requirements !

I have had trailer issues. But I don’t think ANY of the new trailers I’ve looked at were sub-standard.

The biggest problems are with 15 inch wheels and tires.. GET 16 inch tires.

Coming home from Kirrville Teas, in 85 degree weather. My trailer weighed in at 7600 pounds with my S.80 Touring car inside. The tires were 5-6 months old. and properly inflated.

I blew two tires on the way home.. The 15 inch trailer tires I would not use on a wheelbarrow. i converted to t 16 inch wheels and LT tires and won’t look back.

Regarding triple axle trailers.. They wear out tires, A dual axle trailer will almost never wear out tires. they will get weather checked and need replacing with plenty of tread reamainin. but a three axle trailer is always scrubbing a set of tires sideways when going around a turn or being backed up in a tight spot..

And with a triple axle, you never know which able the trailer will pilot on. So backing a triple can be a bit ‘interesting’.

I’ve owned and pulled a LOT of trailers.. I think in the dry climate in California a good trailer will last a lifetime.

In the Midwest, salty winter roads and humid weather creat corrosion issues. The aluminum skin one ra steel framework creates a battery and electrolytic corrosion.

Greg Long

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.