Travelodge Guru

Home Page Forums General Travelodge Guru

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Still doing my general homework as a newbie…anyone a guru for Travelodges?

I spotted one in Hemmings (Jan 10) for sale 5K, in PA, 20 year standby storage. Curious about how hard to make them right. Project fever you know.

Clay, By no means do I consider myself a ‘guru,’ but I have a Model A with a decently-but-not perfectly restored interior that awaits exterior restoration. Look for the big 2-tone blue one among the pix of the 2006 Nat’l Meet in Redmond, OR.

The INTERIOR is the greatest determinant of value: how many original fixtures (heater, stove, icebox, lamps, etc) are in the offered Travelodge?

Travelodges are delightful to tow–you hardly know they’re back there, largely due to independent suspension (no axle, tubular leading arm for each spindle and 1/4-elliptic spring for trailing arm.

Their greatest problem is electrolytic corrosion between the steel frame and the aluminum skin (resulting in deterioration at the bottom of the skin) which were separated by what we call tarpaper today. This can be dealt with…

Feel free to email me at my Roster address (see e-Roster in Members Section) for more info. Don’t be dismayed when my spamblocker sends you an automated msg–I clean out the limbo box half a dozen times a day.

George

“Hemmings (Jan 10) for sale 5K, in PA, 20 year standby storage.”

For reference, I spoke to the gentleman on the phone just now and he had sold it…here are the details of what I was told by the getn.:

1) Sold it to a non PAS member.(The heretic :))

2) Tried to sell over a year ago through PAS but claimed no one was interested from the Hershey meet. Needed to sell because was moving out.

3) Interior was fully original but he had put in a auto toilet, vice the bucket. All original stained glass and the coal/wood burning stove.

4) Received 5K for it.

5) It was a model C, short cab version, no interior changes whatsoever.

“Trying to sell it through PAS” means putting it in the Emporium, putting it on the Message Board, or bringing it to a PAS Meet with a FOR Sale sign.

“Trying to sell one at Hershey Meet” (That’s AACA, not PAS) ain’t the way. Since I handle the Ad Boards in the PAS tent at Hershey, I can attest to the fact that I saw no pictures or ad regarding a Travelodge there. Nor do I recall seeing one for sale in the Hershey Cat Corral.

Either this person wasn’t a PAS member or he didn’t know how to use the benefits of membership. I’ll bet it was the former.

What’s a pity is that PAS gets panned because the seller didn’t do it right.

Yes I kind of felt the same way. He struck me as a camper/RV’er not a restorer or preserver. I suspect he would never even look for a type club to join, and AACA probably did not take him seriously. I never mentioned I was a member so that came voluntarily…in any case…some other non PAS member wound up with a neat project or possible gem.

I have owned Nostalgic Reflections Co. for 41 years and we make reproduction parts for antique vehicles. I have attached a picture of some of the Pierce Arrow parts we have made. We do cloisonne, stamping, acid etching, screen printing, water slide decals, radiator scripts, medallions, bike badges etc. Jerry Turner 509-226-3522 Nostalgic Reflections, P.O. Box 350, Veradale, Washington 99037

http://www.NostalgicReflections.com

http://www.NostalgicReflections.com

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.