under dash switch on 1929 Dietrich bodied convertible sedan in the Browning collection

Home Page Forums Body under dash switch on 1929 Dietrich bodied convertible sedan in the Browning collection

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

A number of years ago I took the attached photo of a switch under the edge of the instrument panel on the 1929 Dietrich convertible sedan in the Browning collection in Ogden, Utah. Does anyone know what this switch is for? Thanks.

On my ’29 it controls the dash lights.

the switch turns on the instrument lights. I turned off John C. instrument lights @ St. Louis meet.

It’s a three position switch. If I remember correctly, all the way to the left is off; middle position turns on a single lamp to illuminate the ignition lock; right position turns on the instrument lights.

Bill

I thought it was Middle is off, Left is ignition and right is instrument panel.

But I’d have to go out and check to be sure.

You’re right Craig. I have a spare switch in my basement and checked it with a meter and realized my earlier error.

Bill

I’m getting old but I guess not that old! :)

But the other half would disagree with my statement.

This switch is a real ‘gotcha’. It is easy to brush a leg or knee against it, getting in or out of the driver’s seat.

In Daylight, it is very difficult to see that the ignition-ilumination light or the instrument lights are on.. And there goes your battery !!

This is much like the hot-wired reverse gear light. [aka: back-up light ]. If you leave the shift lever in reverse, the light stays on. And in daylight, it is easy to not see that the light is on.

Greg Long

Oooh I learned that about the reverse light the hard way!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.