UU2 Carburetor

Home Page Forums Engine UU2 Carburetor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I am working to get the ’31 Pierce we acquired late last fall running.

Apparently the car had not been run since 1954.

The was still some remains of gas in the tank. I have cleaned and repaired the tank. I am not using that repaired tank yet.

I have cleaned the carburetor and reassembled it with new gaskets.

There is an electric fuel pump.

The pump seems to overpower the carburetor, as it leaks gas from the top.

What have I done wrong or failed to do?

Hello Milton,

From your description, the pressure that the electric fuel pump is delivering is overpowering the needle and valve seat in the carburetor. Usually, on these electric fuel pump integrations, it is useful to put a regulator in between the electric fuel pump and the carburetor. The fuel pressure should really be down to 1-2 PSI to avoid overwhelming the Stromberg. Many (but not all) modern electric fuel pumps easily exceed this kind of pressure, often in the 5-8 PSI range (not sure which pump you have installed).

While you are working on your fuel system, it is a good idea to get a good fuel filter in your line between the tank and the electric fuel pump.

There are some good fuel system guidelines from George Teebay in the last PASB, these would be helpful to you, also.

Happy Motoring,

Chris Diekman

Hello Chris

Thank you for the information. Those numbers are very helpful.

No doubt as I make progress with this car I will return to trying to be as original as possible and return to the correct mechanical pump.

I have no clue about this electric pump. Don’t know if it was added in an attempt to make the car run years ago or if it did function as it came from the barn.

Al Abrahamson is encouraging me to get it running well enough to bring it to the Rochester meet.

A “barn find” showing..

I’m sure if I can accomplish this There will be all kinds of advice available.

Also… the invitation is always open for those that are traveling I 90 through NY, to stop by and visit. We are just 10 miles south on NY Route 10 and are a greenhouse garden center business and are always here as we are open 7 day a week.

Milton Schilde

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.