very nice 1930 on Ebay

Home Page Forums General very nice 1930 on Ebay

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

I’m sure most of you follow Ebay.

Wonderful 1930 phaeton now listed. Not a perfect car but would be a great tour car, and interesting history.

My storage is full and bank account empty, so not for me, as much as I’d like it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Pierce-Arrow-7-Passenger-Touring-/322511148214?hash=item4b172994b6:g:ouIAAOSwYlRZEiZB&vxp=mtr

An interesting car for sure, David, thanks for pointing it out. A quick check shows eBay currently has 7 P-A’s listed, which has to be something of a record.

I remember the car parked on the street in front of Joe Scanlon’s home. It was winter and it was covered with snow. I suggested the he take better care of it. He told me to go to a “warmer climate””.”

It is up to 8.

Great looking car.

Sitting at $32,700 right now.

I have a question about the identification of a Pierce-Arrow that was used for BroAdmoor service.

Please correct me if I am wrong: I am of the understanding that the car number assigned by the BroAdmoor will be stamped on the top of the drivers-side parking light.

Has this been a consistent way to identify the car(s) or is there other items to look for?

Thanks,

Ben

The Broadmoor Hotel 1930 Pierce-Arrow car numbers were stamped on the top of bracket between the radiator shell and the left front fender near the fender. There was also a small oval plaque on the right side of the dash board with the car number.

This car does appear to have the small plaque with the number 10 on the dashboard. Very interesting car….

I wonder if the Broadmoor Hotel cars had special gearing for the higher altitude and intended use climbing Pikes Peak ?

The Series 80/81 cars had three rear gear ratios, and where the car was intended to be operated determined the ratio installed. The Denver cars, San Francisco cars were given the 4.88:1 ratio. Most other cars got the 4.45:1 ratio.

I’m not sure if the 8cylinder cars were given specialized gear ratios based on location of use. It seems that the ratios were assigned based on the weight of the car. Most roadsters had 4.08:1 gears, through ’32.

Greg Long

I’ve driven two of the Broadmoor Hotel cars, and both had 4.88 gears, affording a max comfortable cruising speed of 40 mph–my “seat of pants” definition of ‘comfortable.’ An old Arrow described some of the other modifications, of which I remember only leaner carburetor jetting and stronger brakes.

The 6 Broadmoor cars in the roster have consecutive serial numbers ending in 41 to 46.

The Mel Boonstra Broadmoor is probably still available at a price. Son Keith has it now and is listed in the 2017 roster. I believe that has had a high speed gear change as I recall riding with Mel at much more than 40 ‘comfortably’.

Dave

Before the Broadmoor Hotel took delivery of their 1930 Pierce-Arrows, one touring car was shipped to Colorado Springs along with a variety of parts. Don Anson, Pierce-Arrow factory engineer, went to The Springs to test various configurations to determine the best fit for driving the cars up Pikes Peak (14,114 feet). Don Anson along with Angelo Cimino from the Broadmoor Garage drove the car up Pikes Peak with different carburetor set-ups, transmissions, differential ratios and ignition timings. The car was loaded with lead ingots to simulate a full load of passengers. The result of these trials was the set-up used on all of the Broadmoor cars. Conoco also blended a special high altitude gasoline that was used in the cars. This gasoline was available at the Conoco station across the street from the Broadmoor Garage.

The Broadmoor must have had some serious clout at that time.

To have a PA engineer perform days or weeks of testing and to have Conoco formulate and refine a special blend of fuel just for their cars.

I would think money wasn’t a problem for the owners of the Broadmoor, although it’s interesting to see that it went into receivership in 1932 and the one of the original owners (Spencer Penrose) became sole owner.

With hundreds of rooms in 1930, and over 700 rooms now, cash flow was (and probably is?) good!

Another tidbit, the correct logo spelling of the name is BROaDMORE, all caps but one, with the lower case “a”” in the upper part of the space!”

Is it true that the Broadmoor Garage was a subsidiary of Kumpf Motors of Denver and that they would deliver new Pierce Arrows through this facility? My 1929 Roadster was possibly delivered new at the Broadmoor Garage and wonder if people could take delivery of their new Pierce Arrows there.The Broadmoor Hotel was where the 1964 VMCCA Glidden Tour was held when we all drove down from Denver.It was a beautiful setting for the event.

The correct current spelling is “Broadmoor””. See their website.”

To pick another nit, I have in my shop a “BROADMOOR” script, reportedly from a tail gate or quarter panel, from a junked custom 1956 Cadillac station wagon with open roof, given me 25 years ago by a friend who was stationed at Fort Carson in the 1970s. The script in in all capital letters with the ‘A’ raised.

You folks from the area will know the true story that I’ll hope you’ll share, but I heard many years ago that Spencer Penrose began the raised ‘A’ in the logo to elevate the status of his ‘ass’ (pack animal) that the previous ownership refused to accommodate.

And, by the way, I live on BROADMOOR Blvd in San Leandro, CA (no relation) :-). That’s why the script was given to me…

I made a mistake in my post, it was supposed to be BROaDMOOR….

David: The spelling you posted is the correct old spelling which isn’t used now.

The BROaDMOOR P-A is back on eBay this afternoon as a “new listing,” here’s the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Pierce-Arrow-7-Passenger-Touring-/322559156497?hash=item4b1a062111:g:ouIAAOSwYlRZEiZB&vxp=mtr

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.