Water Pump Grease Fitting

Home Page Forums Engine Water Pump Grease Fitting

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by .
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

On my 36 1601 a zerk fitting is on the water pump.I do not believe this is correct. Was it originally a Lunkenheimer Grease Cup either T style or flat? If not could someone help me with the name of the proper grease fitting. Thanks for any clarification

Hi Roger, I don’t know the name, but it must have a one way check valve to stop the water from leaking out, if you install a regular cup, it WILL leak. They probably are the same on all the big cars. Ed

Hi Roger,

You are correct, a conventional grease “zerk” meant for petroleum based grease, is not correct. I snapped a picture of a water pump fitting for you. One solution is to have a sealed bearing installed in your water pump. Although it requires a little machining, it eliminates the need for water pump greasing and can help with the water leakage problem around the pump shaft as a modern seal can also be fitted.

If you are going with the original setup, get yourself some of the old style water pump grease. It is more of a soap base material and won’t coat your cooling system with petroluem based grease. There is a listing in the Parts and Services Directory.

Happy Motoring!

Thanks Ed and Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.