water pump packing gland

Home Page Forums Engine water pump packing gland

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have a picture of a water pump packing gland on a 6 cylinder 1928

PA motor?

I have a modern sealed water pump bearing concealed where the gland used to be.

It works fine so far.

David,

series 81 water pump parts.

another view

Hi Dave, The brass bushing that is pressed into the iron water pump body has a tapered face where the packing is located. Sort of like a shallow funnel.

Then there is a ring of graphited rope packing.

On top of the packing is a thick washer with the matching [but mirror image] tapered face.

The washer is held against the packing by the notched external nut that is the adjustment to tighten the packing.

When the external notched nut is tightened, the two tapered faces force the packing to slide toward the pump shaft, creating a seal [usually] against the pump shaft.

If the packing is worn, and has no more room to compress against the shaft, then another piece of packing needs to be added under the cupped washer.

Hope this helps.

Greg Long

Gents,

Can someone please post a photo of the water pump notched nut wrench?

I thought that I had a complete set of P-A wrenches, but now I believe that I am missing that wrench.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter, If you have the screwdriver, then you have the OE wrench. I am sure any square ended adjustable spanner would be great to have too. they are always on e-bay. sets of 4 or single ones. I also sell them at Hershey. Karl

Hi Peter,

This is a picture of the wrench in the toolkit of my 26 Series 33. It isn’t marked PIERCE, but is in the roll with the other original tools and it is a perfect fit for the gland nut.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for your photo.

Mine has the swing head like Karl’s and also is not imprinted PIERCE.

It is interesting to see the variation.

Peter

Karl,

Thanks for the photo.

I have one like what you show, but I fear it is too small for the pump nut on my Series 80

It is also difficult to use from bottom up (tightening).

However, the last time I tighten the nut one (1) notch to eliminate what appeared to be a SLIGHT leak (not active) from a series of long tours, the nut / shaft immediately began to leak.

I backed it off to the original position and the leak stopped.

I drove it for an hour or so and no leak, DUH!

I will see you at the Hotel in Hershey and make a purchase.

With any luck my diesel will not blow up in transit this year.

Peter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.