Weird vintage photographs

Home Page Forums General Weird vintage photographs

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by .
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Caption states: Mother cat stops traffic, New york, July 1925.

Series 80?, series 36 perhaps?, maybe earlier model?, What do you think?

It is not a Series 80 because the headlights are too large.

It is likely a teens Pierce-Arrow. It is a right hand drive and the Policeman looks like a New York City boy.

The hood also looks quite long. No cowl lights and it has a glass eyebrow.

It also appears to have “Barn Doors”” on the back of the car. Maybe they are the divider amidships on a limousine.”

The car appears to be a Series 31 (either 1919 or 1920). The photo was taken in New York City. Note the fender headlamps.

Yes,the car is a Series 31 of 1919-1920 as there are no sidelamps like on the earlier cars.The location is Fifth Ave below 42nd St as the street slopes on down to where it levels more towards Washington Square.The car clearly is going downhill.I read where this photo was contrived and mama

cat and her kitten had to pose a second time.I love the photo as I am a New York City kid.You can see the traffic tower in the background as these were before traffic lights as we know them.

I stand corrected as I can vaguely see what appears to be be a 7th Ave Type F cast iron lamppost and there is bishops crook lamppost above the horse drawn wagon.Fifth Avenue had the pretty cast iron T poles that made it until about 1965.Apparently the traffic towers were on other main streets.One can only imagine what interesting cars were around the city in those days and in the wrecking yards of the outer boroughs.

The photograph appeared in a magazine ad for New York Life some years ago.

Those traffic towers are interesting.There would be an officer in the upper

part and would manually operate the lights.I read where they were taken down around 1928-1929 and replaced with regular traffic lights.As for location,we do know it is not 2nd Ave,3rd Ave,6th Ave,9th Ave because in 1925 those streets had the El’s.It is an interesting photo to study as it looks like everyone is having fun with posing on that summer day of 1925.

I am always amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is this Society! Good job guys!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.