Weis and Rosenau trophy situation

Home Page Forums General Weis and Rosenau trophy situation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bob Sands and I had a conversation the other day. Nothing unusual, since we have been having conversations every few days for the last forty years. One of his Pierces had earned the Weis trophy. Several years later, he brought the same car to another national meet, and to his embarrassment, won the award again. No provision had been made to exempt a previous winner from the award for a second (or I suppose)future times. Hence came a new award “The order of the Arrow” to award previous Weis or VanDeveer winners for continuing to bring these especially well restored cars to national meets. The name of this award was changed to the Rosenau Award, to honor Eric Rosenau, our long time chief judge. Now the rub. Bob was contacted by a quite elderly gentlemen, who has acquired a 1934 Pierce convertible sedan, formerly restored by Ted Case in the 60’s or 70’s, that won the Vanderveer Trophy in the ’70s. He has totally re-restored the car, its restoration from the 60’s or 70’s having run its course, hence the new redo. Now, based on our rules, this car would not be elgible for the Weis trophy, because it won our top trophy before. Bob talked to Fay, and Fay said the board would discuss the matter, said situation not having occurred before. My thinking, by placing the matter up to the Chief judge and board on this forum, the matter might be resolved prior to the meet, so that this elderly gentlemen might have a chance at our highest honor. At his age, (at a lot of our ages) we don’t know how many more opportunities for anything we may chose to accomplish. I bring this matter to the forum not to create any controversy, but just to see if a decision could be made, for an extenuating circumstance such as this one to be resolved: that is to see if this beautiful freshly restored car could have another chance to earn the top honor at this year’s meet. It really is a totally different automobile.

I realize nothing in life is simple, but would it be possible to just slightly modify the wording of the trophy eligibility, and state that once a car wins, it’s not eligible for 25 years to win again? (or 30, whatever time frame is felt sufficient). Few 25 year old restorations can compete at that level, and by then, as stated, someone else probably owns it and/or has had to freshen the restoration.

Tony,

The wheels are in motion, and the topic will most likely be discussed by the Board of Directors at the Buffalo Meet, BEFORE the Show and judging.

I am a bit tentative (most likely) only because I no longer create the Agenda.

However, the initial discussions have begun.

Tony you had better be there to put in your two-cents!

Right, two-cents, HA!

I think that 20-years is good, but others will chime in with their opinions on the matter.

I will make sure to invite Bob to the Meeting.

Peter

Our 1930 Model B Sport Phaeton won the Weiss award in 2004. The same car won the VanDeveer award more than a decade earlier with a different owner. So I believe a precedent has already been set.

It sure sounds that way Terry. I think Lee Garoyan won it before? This is good feedback. Ten years probably isn’t enough time to compete again, but I am sure the judging committee can use this info to help embellish our policy of awarding the Weis trophy.

Thanks Terry,

This is all good grist for the judging rules mill and it will be discussed soon.

Also, thanks Tony.

Your sage, point-and-shot wisdom is always welcome and most often funny.

Peter

Tony,

It was indeed Lee Garoyan who did the restoration.

I am planning on bringing it to Buffalo this year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.