Wheel removal

Home Page Forums Chassis Wheel removal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I am starting restoration of the chassis of my 1930 Model A. The rear axle has been out of the car for 40 hyears (or more) but the wheels turn and the inside is greasy. I am having trouble getting one of the wheels off. I have a conventional wheel puller that bolts to the lug nuts. I’ve tightened the push screw considerably but the wheel won’t come off. As I mentioned, the wheel turns, so it is not binding on the brake shoes. Any suggestions as to how to get the wheel off? Thanks.

Arnold, have you seen this post “remove hub off a PA” 14,June 2010. It might be helpful.

Best of luck!-John

Hi Arnold,

To expand on John’s comment, you can quickly locate the discussion John is referring to by returning to the Message Board index page, enter “remove hub off a PA”” in the keyword box at the top and click Search.

Be sure to enclose the phrase in quotes to match the phrase and not each individual word.

Paul”

Thanks to John and Paul M, and also to Paul J and George T for their earlier comments. I had thought that the proper approach is to get a bigger hammer, which I will do. I have one of those three prong pullers with the knocker arm, which I will apply.

The axle on the side where I have removed the wheel doesn’t just slide out — probably a bit seized in the differential side gear. I plan to use a puller arrangement on itm, too, expecting that it will not need too much force. I’ll use the wheel nut to apply the force.

When I removed the wheels from our ’29 to repair the seals I used one of the three prong pullers with the dog bone hammer arm.

It took a few good blows with a 3 pound hammer to get the drums to pop.

When they did they slid a good inch on the spindle.

I thought the first one was going to fall onto the garage floor it popped so hard.

Particularly hard extractions can sometimes require patience.

Leave pressure on with the puller for a while, then a tap, then more pressure and time. I once had the puller on for 3 days and several sequences before it popped.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.