Wheel shimmy

Home Page Forums Chassis Wheel shimmy

• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by .
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

We are still having wheel shimmy issues with the 1932 Series 42 touring car that I have recently restored. I have tried all of the recommended fixes and the problem persists.

I believe that my next option is installing a steering damper. Would appreciate any advise on the installation. Also would like to know what sources are out there to supply a kit or parts.

Not happy to shimmy like my sister Kate….

Thanks

Al Morkunas

My 31 model 42 would go into a shimmy that seemed uncontrollable at times. I took the car to a commercial heavy duty truck shop. I gave them the proper front end specs, and they set the caster and camber to factory specs. Believe me over the years, extra shims, improper adjustments had changed the total front end geometry. On the way home it was like magic. Problem solved.

Tony is exactly correct. If all of the front suspension components are in good condition, I suspect improper caster adjustment is the problem. It takes a big truck shop to understand the old type straight axles and how to properly align that type of front suspension. A steering damper may cure the problem, however, this does not treat the cause.

Absolutely agree with Tony and Paul. I had the same uncontrollable wobble on my 1930 Model C sedan. 4 extra front end shims to correct the caster angle solved the problem once and for all.

If the ’32 has the “kick shackle” on the left front spring hanger, then first I would double check that the front hanger bearings are free, the two kick shackle coil springs are not broken and the bolt through the small spring compresses the springs – but not too much. Through the 20’s, cars were prone to shimmy. It was found that engineering some carefully controlled give in the steering side fixed shackle greatly reduced shimmy on solid axle cars. Since it is there to control shimmy, I would first check on that. A few months back I asked on this sight whether anyone had the specs for tightening the bolt on the small spring. I got no answers so I assume no one knows exactly what the proper setting is. By the way, my smaller spring inside the frame was broken and had to buy 10 to get one, so I have an extra if you find yours broken.

Jim Chase

Re: wheel shimmy. I will take another look at the “kick shackle”” for possible problems. It is an easy thing to overlook if there are not obvious problems. It is also likely that the shims added by the front end shop were not enough to correct the situation. Many thanks for all the good advice. It is a great thing to have experienced and helpful members share their knowledge. That is why we are known as a “”society””…

Al Morkunas”

Kick shackle problems can definitely cause severe shimmy!

The 1932 Convertible Sedan in the Pierce-Arrow Museum Collection was found to be missing the kick shackle entirely. It is so bad that it simply can’t be used on the road until we are able to locate a replacement and install it properly. So far no success.

If anyone has a spare piece they’d donate we’d appreciate it very much.

Dave

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.