Wheel studs

Home Page Forums Chassis Wheel studs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Keeping one eye on the tornadoes and one on my 836. I am trying to pull the drums off the rear end. I have done the soaking with various penetrants, removed the brake adjustment nut, purchased the 3 arm dog bone puller which I bolted on to the studs only to have the nuts pop off under pressure.

I am leaning towards drilling out the studs, since their threads are compromised, and trying to get the drum off that way.

My concerns are

1. Will this work?

2. Is stud replacement a straight forward press in, or is it more complicated.

3. Does anyone have a source for the studs?

4. Any other ideas, thoughts? The wheels do not currently turn and the cable is detached as is the driveshaft

As always, thanks in advance for your collective knowledge.

Bill

Drum is held on by a taper, very difficult to remove. Do not drill off the studs or you will end up cutting off the drum with a torch. We left a puller on a drum for 3 days at max torque on the thing, it just let go one afternoon and the thing flew across the shop. Your gonna have to keep using the puller with mor torque and get the lug nuts to hold. I isn’t easy. Ed

DO NOT stand in the way of the drum, it can break your leg as Edgar says. Heat will help.

Bill,

Having pulled quite a number of these, I’d make a couple of suggestion

1) Do NOT put excessive force on the puller, just get it good and snug. I believe that when you really pull, it tightens the taper at the outside and you’re fighting a worse condition (pinching at outer part of taper).

2) Add heat only in the drum area just above the keyway. That is the thinnest area and if you can get it hot, that will expand the taper the most. If you heat everything up, the axle and drum will expand together and you wont make much progress

3) Protect the threads of the axle and whack hard. You’ll get it off.

Greg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.