While walking thru the Georgia Apple Festival

Home Page Forums General While walking thru the Georgia Apple Festival

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

My wife dragged me to the mountains in Elajay, GA to the Georgia Apple Festival. After looking at propane tanks converted to Jack-o-lanterns and other similar crafts I excused myself to visit the car show a couple fields away.

After passing about 20 ’55-57 Chevies, all descriptions of restomod vehicles, and too many pickups to count, I started down a row that began with a ’30 Mobel A Ford Sports coupe. Nice condition, but not show. After admiring it I looked up and about 10 cars down were some fenders with tulip headlights.

It was the 1975 National first place 1928 Model 81 convertible coupe, with rumble seat. it was resplendent in a dark red/maroon with black fenders and tan top with tobacco interior. I had no camera and no paper but the story I was told that it was purchased at Hershey after it won, was driven to Atlanta, where something broke. The owner picked it up on the back of a flatbed truck where it stayed until this year.

Well it was what I was told.

I am trying to get some more info. Stay tuned.

Hi William,

I own the series 81 that was at the apple festival. The story as you heard it is not accurate. As told by the son of the man who bought it at Hershey when he was settling his fathers estate and I quote, His father bought the car and drove it back to Dalton Ga.he later drove the car to Florida to a car show, on the way back it broke down and he bought a 1972 van truck into which he put the car and brought it back to Dalton Ga.Since he would not allow anyone to work on it, that is where it stayed for 20 years until his death and it was sold. The car came from Calf. to Hershey and it has the National first place badge still on the radiator where it was when I bought it.The cause of the break down was a broke axle and a crack in the engine block from an intake valve seat into the cylinder, which I repaired and then replaced the axle. The paint was falling off the body and the frame so I completely took the car apart cleaned and repainted everything and put it back together. The paint scheme was something that I liked. all the leather interior and top were still good and reused, It runs and drives great. The car won Best AACA classic at that show. But I think it was the only car there that could qualify as a true classic, it seems now days everything with wheels on it is called a classic. An after thought, I am not much on car shows and only went because a friend who restores model T fords for people who own them, insisted that we had to attend. It was an enjoyable but tiring day for an old man. Hope this gives a little info on the car and why it was at the show.

Regards, Joe

Joe,

Thanks for the update and particularly for bringing the car. It was georgeous and the highlight of an otherwise dull show. I enjoyed talking to your group, just sorry my memory isn’t photographic, if I don’t write it dawn I probably won’t remember it.

I have been in the steel industry for 38 years and have determined iron causes memory loss, at least that is my excuse.

Hope to see you and the car next year.

Bill

Hello All,

We visited Joe while he was restoring his car. He is too modest as he did a fabulous job on the car. I can’t wait to see it completed.

Maybe Rhode Island next year Joe?

Happy Motoring

Rick

Hi Rick,

sorry I cant’t afford a trip to Rhode Island after restoring the Pierce, it will have to wait for something closer to home. would like another visit from you and Gary and you guys can drive me around in my pierce and enjoy the mountain scenery.

Joe

William,

I am sure iron is not the only cause of not remembering I also have the same problem and can’t imagine what is causing it, on my part it may be age related but hate to admit it. Also my message keeps coming up with a delete at the top not smart enough to figure out why.

Joe

Joe

The delete at the top allows the author & only the author of the message to erase the evidence!! Also you guys with memory problems

it is only that we have installed an early version of our memory chips!! We need an upgrade. Cheers

Jak.

Joe: i’m very glad to hear that you got that beautiful car out and to a show. I assume it is running well now ?? Cleaning radiator again must have done the trick !!

I think we need to see that car out more often. Maybe Rick and Liz will get a show arranged somewhere close so you can participate.

Hmm,, start tossing your nickels and dimes in a jar, maybe you will collect enough to go to Rhode Island in ’14, or for sure Buffalo in ’15 !!

Greg Long

Hi Greg,

Afraid it will take a lot more than a years worth of nickles and dimes for a trip from Ga. to Rhode Island. Just joking about the cost. since I spent my working (for pay) years with an air line I have about had my fill of travel. And yes the car is running great now no coolant lose. Taking it to another show this sat. about 20 miles away in Blairsville Ga.

It would nice if there was a pierce arrow get together close by. I understand they furnished free bathing at Hershey this year hope you didn’t get too wet and had plenty of time to find an extra fuel sending unit or two.

Joe

Jak,

Thanks for the info. on the delete but still can’t out how to stop it from showing up.

Joe

Hi Joe, the Delete box will always be there. I don’t think you can make it go away.. we cannot see it, only you can see it. Each post will have the delete box visible only to the author of the post.

I did not see anything for Series 81 cars, only a parking light bar. Sorry, no gas gauge units.

Greg L

Greg,

Thanks I will quit looking for a fix on the delete box. Oh well I will fix the one that I have, It will be a good winter project and hopefully keep my mind working.

Joe

Joe,

I am going to Blairsville Saturday. I will stop by and you can tell me about your fuel gauge. Weather looks like cloudy in the 60’s no rain.

Bill

Obviously the Series 80/81 had gas gauge issues as mine (or should I say what is left of it) looks like it was attacked by a kid with a stick, a dog, or some other wild animal! :-)

Greg, I trust you made it home safely and found some dry shoes!

James

William,

Glad to hear you will be at Blairsville Saturday and will look forward to chatting with you. I will save you a chair.

Joe

James,

On my 81 gauge it lost a ground and burned the wire into, I am trying to locate the correct wire so I can repair it. Earlier I had cut a new set of gears out of brass and every thing worked as it should until this mishap. On the 80 I made a new fuel gauge for Fred Fasting for his series 80 the entire unit is in the tank and you have to go around back to read it. It was quite a project on that one in order to duplicate what was left of the pot metal one and guess at rest.

Joe

A quick clarification: Series 80 fuel gauges are mechanical, and are direct reading at the gauge, back at the tank.

The Series 81 fuel gauge is electric. There is a level sensor in the tank, it has a rheostat operated by a float and gears, all mounted in the tank, the gauge itself is in the very nice, ornate instrument cluster on the dash.

Series 81’s have a very modern designed instrument panel. It has ammeter, oil pressure, coolant temperature, and fuel level. The instruments are back-lit as well as having post lights.

Both the 80 and 81 tank units are made of pot metal, and suffer from the usual degradation of the metal and they eventually fall apart..

On Joe’s fuel level sender, the wire-wound rheostat has burnt wires, I was looking for a replacement for Joe at Hershey, but no luck.. the fuel level senders are quite rare.

Greg L

The old Atwater-Kent company still makes and rebuilds the sending units. I have one on the shelf for my 31. On my 36 when we made a new tank, we converted the sender to a 36 Ford. They are about 35 dollars new. Ed

Edgar,

About 3 years ago when I was trying to avoid having to make new gears for my unit I called and talked to the man that then owned the Atwater-Kent company. He had no knowledge of the type sending unit that I was trying to have repaired and suggested that I send it to him and he may be able to modify it. I declined his offer since I had tried that route with another repair company and after 6 months was only able to get it back after calling the county sheriff and asking him to go speak with the owner of the company. Since then if I can’t find something that I need I make an effort to fix it myself and if I mess it up it is my fault but I still have the part. I know there are still many people with skill and honesty out there but finding them is becoming more difficult. Please don’t view this as sour grapes it is just a rehash of my experience and just may be my fault for not digging deeper before acting.

Joe

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.