Who would do such a thing?

Home Page Forums General Who would do such a thing?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I think the Chevy V8 bothers me more than the boattail.

Bill

Yikes. Well, at least the 12 engine is included. The boat tail is not an awful idea, but the execution on this one is awful. The BT loses the scale of the car as it goes back, it’s too small for the front of the car. That’s why it’s ugly, in my opinion. Properly done, with the BT well into the fenders on each side of the rear, it probably would be somewhat attractive. Bet they want big bucks for it thought….makes you wonder what shape or style the body was to start, before restoration, as it would be hard to conceive that someone would do this to a good convertible….dc

Does anyone know the asking price for this car ?

In the late 1960s I was restoring my first Pierce, a 1933 club brghm. I saw an ad by a fellow parting out a 1933 Pierce in Huntington, Indiana so naturally I made the trip. I got a few parts but also saw some interesting things.The man was working alone in a small stamping plant and had numerous 8 cyl. cadillac chassis and numerous cadillac V-16 engines he lengthening the frames and hoods and fitting theV-16 engines to the longer chassis.He also had a ’34 or ’35 pierce conv. cpe. with a boat tail with a v-12 engine. I don’t recall any fenders on the car. All of his work was very good. several years laterI saw an ad for a “one- off” 34-35 pierce boat-tail for sale, this is probably the same car.Afterwards when I saw a V-16 cadillac i would wonder if it was born in Indiana. There is some excellent talent out there, buyer-beware.

My two cents. Leo is correct, the car was built in Indiana. Probably not in the shop mentioned. This car was an 845 (1935) 4 door sedan and couldn’t, even, be considered a “good parts car.” Mr. Fischer dragged it home and this is the result. He did build other boat tail speedsters; but, nothing this big. Usually a Nash or Hudson and from what I’ve heard, these cars are (also) passed off as “the real thing.” The convertible top on the Pierce is from a speedboat. Mr. Fischer was both clever and very talented.

He put this car through a Kruse Auction, with no reserve, and it sold dirt cheap, it broke his heart! If I remember correctly, a dealer from Texas bought the car, tried to market it as a custom and after a while it sold it to an “over the pond” collector. There’s a lot more to this story. I believe a law suit followed, etc., etc.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! IF THE CAR WASTED HULK WHO ARE WE TO

CONDEM A MAN FOR PLACING A GREAT CAR BACK ON THE ROAD? I DONT AGREE WITH THE FACT OF ANYONE PAWNING IT OFF AS AN ORIGINAL BUT AS A PIECE OF WORK FROM SOMEONES TALENT THATS ANOTHER THING! I FEEL WE AS A CLUB SHOULD GET OFF OUR HIGHHORSE AND STOP BERATING EVERY PERSON THATS TAKES A DELAPIDATED OLD HULK, THAT NO ONE OUT THERE WOULD BEGIN TO RESTORE, AND CONDEM HIM OR HER FOR BUILING SOMETHING THAT THEY CAN ENJOY! AS MY LATE GREAT DAD , GEORGE “DUTCH” FUCHS ,WOULD SAY “THEY JUST TOOK A GREAT CAR AND MADE IT BETTER!” GOOD DAY!KEN D FUCHS ST LOUIS MO. AND FOR BOB SANDS GO BLUES!

Ken, you’re 100% correct. I have a “HULK” sitting out on my trailer and I just don’t have the heart to scrap it. As we know, “they don’t make them anymore, and once it’s gone, “it’s gone forever.” It would be better if some “hot rodder” took this thing and built some thing out of it.

Bob

Well Ken, too each his own. My comment was it was UGLY, but that thing IS NOT A GREAT CAR. I would rather see the car in the crusher or cut up for parts. As far as hot rod Pierce Arrow’s go, I would also rather see it scrapped than rodded out. Just my opinion, and I am sure others differ. Also, as far as I am concerned, if a hot rod Pierce were to be put on the show field, I would drive mine off of it. I am not sure what club policy is on them, but someone who reads this thread will know the answer. My Best, Ed

EDGAR, DID NOT SAY THAT PARTICULAR CAR WAS A GREAT CAR AS SHE SETS JUST THAT SHE STARTED OFF AS A GREAT CAR! AS FAR AS DRIVING OFF THE SHOW FIELD ,IF A NON CONFORMING PIERCE OR CLUB MEMBER SHOWS UP, THATS A LITTLE BIGGOTED ISNT IT? WITH THAT ATTIDUDE THE CLUB IS DOOMED AFTER YOUR GENERATION IS GONE. AS YOU SO ELEQUENTLY STATED TO EACH HIS OWN! THIS FORUM IS TO COMMUNICATE NOT RUFFLE FEATHERS JUST RESPONDING BEST TO ALL! KEN D FUCHS ST LOUIS MO.

Hi Ken, no ruffled feathers here. My generation is “Generation X” as I am 43 years old. My lady friend says I act like a five year old, go figure. The correct word is historian, as it applies to my thoughts on cars. My only divergence from stock factory built cars is an electric fuel pump, which on a V-12 is a requirement, not a give in to the modern era. (Today’s fuels boil out in the carb when hot and it takes too long to fill them up with the stock pump.) I’m OK with an of the era speedster project, as long as it is well done, and not passed off as authentic. It’s happened in the not so long distant pass. As well as the eight cylinder coupe with missing engine being passed off as a twelve. I like to see Pierce Arrows kept pure, and to my thoughts, as how the Society was founded and intended. My Best, Ed

This is an area that I have strong feelings. Ernie Follis took a bunch of stacked sheet metal, that could hardly been called an automobile. He put it back together, and made a most incredible tow vehicle. Hallelujah

! Let us compare that to the two Pierce rods that were at the last big Buffalo meet. (The ones I parked by the dumpster at our gathering at the Cadillac dealer). Fine, this is your car, you paid for it, some say you can do with it as you please. I would not even have allowed these cars to come to the meet. These rod guys exist to atagonize true hobbyists. They call our cars “put-put” cars. I preserve history, for the benefit of those to come. Minor unseen mechanical changes to help us tour with modern fuel, roads etc, are one thing. Total destruction of a great Marque, relagated to a parking lot among loud t-shirt clad iconoclasts, is another. (I believe our board has made some rule changes prohibiting rods at Pierce meets)

Tony,

I agree with you on this subject. I am a “purist”. I believe a car should be left original or restored back to original.

But, I also understand that sometimes a car is not worth what you put into restoring it if you are looking to turn a profit in reselling it.

That aside, I also feel that hot rods and original cars should not be put in the same show together.

Case in point, I took my ’26 Pierce to one of the biggest shows in the state of Michigan a few years back. It was sponsored by Street Machines Car club. There were both original cars and rods in this show. One of the judges came to look at my car. He was about 25, he asked me what the car was, I told him, and his response was “Never heard of it!” He proceeded to write something down on his clipboard and walked away.

I never took my car to that show again.

My point is that there are guys out there that only see the street rod potential of these cars, even cars like Pierce-Arrows. I had one guy tell me how great my ’32 would look if I chopped and shaved the bumpers, dropped a big block Chevy in it, etc, etc.

I agree, why would you do such a thing to a one of a kind vehicle?…

And Ken, while you are correct that “To each his own”, I would rather see my cars crushed than to see them get chopped up into street rods.

I am a purist.This can get you relagated,castigated and negated by the free thinkers in cardom.But you can’t have it both ways.I see my role as being the good shepherd of old cars.Ushering them forth to a new generation.It’s a romantic pursuit(in a very un-romantic age).I have no

control what the next generation will do to the cars.

Hot rodders are about themselves.It is ego driven.Yes,often their cars

are exciting to drive.They are justifiably proud of their craftmanship.

Many are a beauty to behold.Each example can lead to the demise of a historical piece of Americana.When I see a rod,I think of it as the living dead,a morphodite.And that grinding sound you hear is another one biting the dust.Rodders are a prolific bunch.Just check Ebay Motors.It’s getting harder to find a stock car.

Old cars can be as reliable as hot rods if they are set up right.Our problem is that they don’t get used regularly.

Hot rodders are seeking out rare cars.This competition increases the cost to save a car(from zombie-hood).

Remember to love the sinner and hate the sins.Alot of rodders are great guys(a model T orig. type speedster and 1934 Hupp AeroDynamic 421J ,hot

rods,followed me home).I do pennance by doting on my Pierce-Arrows.

Tony Costa

I see the “1935 BT 12 P-A” is now sold. The photo is no longer available via Ed’s reference but the car is somewhere and will show up again.

I think I’m a purist, too, but they come in various flavors — I’m restoring a car which will have a largely reproduced body, but it will duplicate the original as close as I can do it.

I regret any restoration that produces a vehicle not like what it was originally, but I respect the desire and right of others to do this. but such are not in keeping with the philosophy of the PAS, and don’t belong at our shows.

HAVENT HAD THE TIME TO CHECK THE FORUM LATELY! TICKLED THOUGH TO SEE I GOT SOME DISCUSSION GOING! REMEMBER THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH OLD SOLID COMPLTETE CARS TO GO AROUND SO LETS APPRECIATE ALL INTEREST IN THE CAR HOBBY! I NEVER DID SAY A ROD SHOULD BE PLACED UP AGAINST AN ORIGINAL PIERCE OR VICE_VERSA JUST THAT THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL IN THIS GREAT PURSUIT! DONT CRUSH RUSSSHHHH! TO RECYCLE! KEN FUCHS ST LOUIS MO,

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.