With the snow bearing down on the east coast….

Home Page Forums General With the snow bearing down on the east coast….

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

No. . . . This is fun.

I really am thinking of relocating. I’ve been in upstate New York all my life (actually, not yet !) but unlike Peter what bothers me is not the sight of the snow but the cold. If I had a ton of money and could keep the house in the 70’s all winter, heat the garage all winter, hire a friendly young fellow to plow my driveway and shovel the walks. . . and never set foot out of the house until it warms back to above freezing, THEN I’d love to stay in the northeast for The Duration.

Ken — so you are serious. You ARE in Real Estate. I’ll keep that in mind.

William — didn’t know you were in Albuquerque. I had a job offer at a private school on the west side. Sandia Prep School. Had to turn it down (long story) but the climate certainly was incredible.

Anyway, thanks. New England is a great place to live from April through October. Those other five months leave a bit to be desired. For me anyway.

Hello Luke,

Peter is correct we live in California on the Central Coast half way between Los Angeles and San Francisco. We happen to believe it is the most beautiful place to live in the USA. We belong to a network and help folks move all over the world.

When you have time shoot me an email and I would enjoy talking to you and finding out what you have housed in your spectacular garage.

Thank you for stepping in.

Ken

Ken,

California is beautiful, as I think are New Mexico and Arizona.

I believe that the ideal is to live in the splendent Northeast in the summer and in the south or southwest in the winter.

I do not relish snow, but I tolerate it because I do not currently choose to own two homes 1,500 to 2,000-miles apart.

Each region of the country has its charms and its pitfalls and it is grand to go to PAS Meets across the country to sample the summer climate and offerings of those regions.

Attending the winter board meeting does likewise during the winter months.

Peter

I have a friend who will be 100 next month.

For many years he and his wife would spend the winters in Tucson, escaping from West Stockbridge, Massachusetts. They would be here for the holidays, then spend January, February and March and a little of April in Tucson before heading home. His last roadtrip there was only a few years ago. He was 96 and drove to Tucson all by himself. He was fearless. I have other stories, too !

They had piles of family money but were the very definition of frugal Yankees, so their solution was to use a small mobile home — actually a camper — for those months in Tucson. Elaine said she didn’t want to care for a whole house, so the camper idea suited them well. The only downfall was Dick kept his cars in Stockbridge.

— Luke

Ok, I live on the western edge of the Rockie Mountains and at the doorstep to the great basin. Yup, to date we have had a mostly mild winter. As I am still involved with agriculture, we pray for the nasty white stuff so eloquently spoken of above. No snow in the mountains means “BAD” for us here in the summer. Just this morning, you Californians are sending us a blast of winter weather that has most of Utah covered with the first “Winter Weather Warning” of this season. To those that can’t relate to that terminology, that means look out bad conditions will here shortly. My take on this conversation is I live where I live, by choice not default, as I have a little elbow room. Secondly we do not have quite the level of creative politics that thrives elsewhere. Wherever you are at today, enjoy the choice of where you live, I sure do.

Al

SNOW is a 4 letter word.

Oh yeah…that “Winter Weather Warning” is meaning business. We are on the front edge of a two day snow event and it is living up to the warning. We are having a snow storm like we haven’t had yet this season and the fun part is, wind is forecast for later. That means not only do we get the snow but get to enjoy blizzard conditions and drifting snow, yipee! I’m glad I can stay home today! Looks like the grand kids will get to go “hooding” on my farm this year. You fellows out east, look out, the snow storm is coming your way!!!!

Al

Alan: Is that ‘hooding’ you mentioned the grandkids sitting on and riding on an old ’50’s or ’60’s automobile or truck hood, pulled with a rope or chain, behind a snowmobile or a tractor?

Greg

Hello Greg, Yes you are spot on. Here in the country, as kids we came up with a wide variety of cheap entertainment to fill our days. Even today, the kids get a bid “BANG” out of some good old fashioned hooding on fresh snow. Of course the party afterwords is always a big deal, hot chocolate to warm up and a big bowl of homemade chili. Did you guys, out in the midwest and upper midwest, do any hooding as kids? We would even scrounge during the summer to get just the right hood design that gave us the best ride in the winter snow.

Al

By the way, one of the best “hoods” were the design of the mid/late 30’s sedan trunk lids. Fortunately, there were no mid 30’s Pierce-Arrows in our area or as a kid we would have tried to “hi-jack” the trunk lid. Looking at it now, that would have been desecration, as a kid not so!

Al

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.