1929 trunk rack 2 piece

Home Page Forums General 1929 trunk rack 2 piece

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • Author

Does anyone have a photo of a two piece 1929, luggage rack installed. I need to see the support brackets and the bolts etc….. everything to show how it is assembled.

Thanks, Rick

Do you have pics of your car as found? I see now S brackets, large support brackets then the large T shaped fitting holding everything together on the side…

lol That is my car as found. :) where it is secured is the only bolts that were on it.

I know it’s yours! That’s why I posted it, trying to figure out how it was together and what was missing or wrong!

It appears from the photo that the trunk rack is present but has been positioned so as to provide for fitting the trunk.When the trunk is not being used the rack can be moved back to a more vertical position and is held in that position by two small metal straps attached to the rack itself.The straps then bolt to the brackets securing the trunk rack.Those straps are no doubt attached to your trunk rack by rivets and may require oiling to loosen them so they will swivel down.This setup was pretty much the same for all Pierce Arrows so equipped from 1929-1931.I will see if I can find a photo I took of the one on my 133 Roadster.

Let’s see if these will upload.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Hope that helps.

If you need any others let me know.

Mine does not extend past the rear bumper.

It is about a couple inches or so short of the bumper.

It is closer to the bumper than yours is but it doesn’t cover the bumper.

My trunk brackets look more like Richard’s.

The trunk rack when no trunk is being used has the strap going to the lower bolt hole so the rack sits at a slight angle at the rear of the car.Going to the upper bolt hole causes the rack to sit flat providing a platform for the trunk.Mine is similar to that on Craig’s car

Taking a closer look at Richard’s trunk rack, his assembly looks to be slightly different than mine.

The large, main brackets are the same but the other arms and brackets are not.

My Roadster has these little arms or straps to position the rack.My car is a 24000 mile car that has been babied and I am only the fourth owner. The rack on Rick’s car should be identical to mine.On these cars with trunk racks,the rack is positioned up when the trunk is not in use.It looks like on the Phaeton that the rack is in the proper position when carrying the trunk.

My ’29 is basically a two owner car.

Originally purchased by a doctor in Pasadena, CA it was owned by him until his death in the mid 60’s.

Someone bought it cheap at an estate sale, cleaned it up a little and just wanted to flip it.

My grandfather bought the car from him and it has been babied and just preserved over the years, first by my grandfather then by my father and now by me. I have very fond memories of helping my grandfather wash it, tinker with it and take it for the occasional ride.

It is very original with the history known in detail for sure for the last 55 or so years.

Craig,

Your car’s trunk rack arrangement is very similar to mine.I love original cars.My very original 1915 C-3 is a Pasadena car.

That is great to hear of another Pasadena car.

I wonder how many cars overall came out of the Pasadena area?

Seems there were quite a few little old ladies driving Pierce Arrow’s in Pasadena back in the day!😇

In a conversation in 1990 with Albert Boosing I was told one could line up the Pierce Arrows on Orange Grove Avenue in Pasadena and it would be a never ending line.Mr.Boosing started selling Pierce Arrows in California in 1913.He knew the original owner of my C-3 and recalled the car when nearly a new car.He had a number of clients in Pasadena.As I recall his first sale in 1913 involved him taking a trade in of a 1904 model.I made alot of notes on that nearly two hour phone conversation.

Our 1247 EDL lived its entire life in Pasadena until we bought it 18 years ago. The original owner (unfortunately a name now lost) donated it to the Catholic Church in Pasadena in 1939. Member Larry Root in Pasadena bought it in 1959. Larry knew the name of the original owner, but he developed Alzheimers and his son never recalled the name. The late Frank Golisch had it in his garage for the last winter before it moved to our garage in Michigan. We always keep her warm so she doesn’t get homesick!

Craig,

those pictures are magnificent. Just what we needed. Thank you SOOOOOO much. I have fancy super bars. Looks like they are not correct for my car. I am missing the metal straps. Im sure they can be made. I am also missing the brackets that attache to the metal loops above the gas tank. Again, these pics are great.

Rick

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.